Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

125 posts, read 760,528 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know how owners/managers in professional office settings (such as architectural firms, etc) feel about job seekers showing up announced at their door? Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised).

Do you feel this is rude or unprofessional in any way? Or do you feel that it gives that applicant a leg up on all the others?

I'm curious after this method was suggested to me on another forum. I've heard both sides already, but I was curious to see if there are any business owners on this site who could weigh in. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I'm curious to know how owners/managers in professional office settings (such as architectural firms, etc) feel about job seekers showing up announced at their door? Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised).

Do you feel this is rude or unprofessional in any way? Or do you feel that it gives that applicant a leg up on all the others?

I'm curious after this method was suggested to me on another forum. I've heard both sides already, but I was curious to see if there are any business owners on this site who could weigh in. Thanks.

Showing up at a place of business out of the blue to drop a resume to who? The Receptionist? Regardless it's strange to me and I don't recommend it.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM

125 posts, read 760,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Showing up at a place of business out of the blue to drop a resume to who? The Receptionist? Regardless it's strange to me and I don't recommend it.
Everything is strange to you. You crashed another one of my threads a few months ago with same 'why would you suggest such a crazy thing' negative attitude. Stay away from my threads troll! I don't want your opinion, and you can stick whatever retort you have coming back up your ass.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Its not a good thing to do. People in Professional service offices, today especially, are very busy, if you drop a resume off, un-invited, or requested, you are wasting their time, and yours, because the probability that it will get thrown away is very high. I don't recommend it.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Everything is strange to you. You crashed another one of my threads a few months ago with same 'why would you suggest such a crazy thing' negative attitude. Stay away from my threads troll! I don't want your opinion, and you can stick whatever retort you have coming back up your ass.

If you came into my job off the street drop off a resume I would call security on your crazy butt

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 PM

96 posts, read 620,018 times
Quote:

Our job service office recommends this method of job search,they say that some jobs at companies will never be posted publicly and 'networking' and word of mouth will bring the people in.I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it, but ,you never know,you might show up at the right place at the right time and land a good position ,but I would say the odds are against it.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
Wasn't that how it was done in the old days? To go door to door and ask to fill out an application and/or drop off a resume?

Now it's go to the website and see if they are hiring...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Wasn't that how it was done in the old days? To go door to door and ask to fill out an application and/or drop off a resume?

Now it's go to the website and see if they are hiring...
Yes,the old days when you were usually treated with a little bit of courtesy and respect.Now you get treated like some sort of leper deserving of nothing except contempt and scorn.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Ok,maybe I worded the previous post a little to strongly,but it does seem that professionalism and courtesy have somewhat gone by the wayside for both employers and job seekers.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Says the guy with no girlfriend, no social skills, no constructive job or life, and who we hope will never pollute the gene pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search