Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree. When I started out in my industry, I had no contacts. I looked up several organizations and located the email addresses of several key persons. I then emailed them inquiring about volunteer opportunities to gain experience to enhance my qualifications and to fulfill internship requirements in my masters program. I receive lots of responses and arranged a meeting with a few. Because of this experience, it did not take long for me to get hired by one of these organizations after completing my masters degree.
To me, networking is not something you do only when you are looking for work. I'm constantly looking for ways to expand my professional network, because maybe today I don't need a commercial real esate broker, a law librarian, or the director of finance for a major medical center, but down the line it might be very beneficial to have them in my network. In my opinion, your network should encompass multiple industries and postitions to get the most out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
To me, networking is not something you do only when you are looking for work. I'm constantly looking for ways to expand my professional network, because maybe today I don't need a commercial real esate broker, a law librarian, or the director of finance for a major medical center, but down the line it might be very beneficial to have them in my network. In my opinion, your network should encompass multiple industries and postitions to get the most out of it.
I agree that networking is something that should be done regardless of whether one is looking for work or not. I was just illustrating how networking helped me in my profession while I was still in school.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I'm curious to know how owners/managers in professional office settings (such as architectural firms, etc) feel about job seekers showing up announced at their door? Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised).

Do you feel this is rude or unprofessional in any way? Or do you feel that it gives that applicant a leg up on all the others?

I'm curious after this method was suggested to me on another forum. I've heard both sides already, but I was curious to see if there are any business owners on this site who could weigh in. Thanks.
I'm not a business owner. However, unless we can immediately direct you to the person who makes those decisions, it wouldn't get you anywhere. If you're walking through purchasing--even if that's where you want to work--you might be interrupting or distracting the employees from their work, when what you would want is either human resources, or the Big Guy.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Its not a good thing to do. People in Professional service offices, today especially, are very busy, if you drop a resume off, un-invited, or requested, you are wasting their time, and yours, because the probability that it will get thrown away is very high. I don't recommend it.
I'm not an employer (yet, maybe ONE day), but I agree with sinsativ and sportsguy. It would creep me out if someone walked into my area with a resume.

(Some) Folks are desperate/anxious/angry these days (justifiably so), and maybe anything would set someone off - especially ANOTHER rejection (like saying, "I'm sorry, but we have no openings"). Imagine hearing that over and over, either on paper or in person. It might be the last straw for somebody - and then what?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Wasn't that how it was done in the old days? To go door to door and ask to fill out an application and/or drop off a resume?

Now it's go to the website and see if they are hiring...
Yes, that is how it was done in the "old days". I recently went to a place of business to do just that and the "youngsters" looked at me like I was crazy.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
The way to do it is to target a few large companies. Then become regulars at the bar across the street and get to know the people that come there for happy hour after work. Network your way in. It works for me getting service contracts for my business. I'd imagine it would work landing a job as well.

These days you have to network. The same concept as picking up a girl (or guy) in a public setting. You can't just show up at their home and go with it. You have to have the right setting and the right networking/marketing skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search