Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times

Advertisements

Here’s a sampling of questions:

• People do a lot of things that make you angry.
  • There’s no use having close friends; they always let you down.
  • Many people cannot be trusted.
  • You are unsure of what to say when you meet someone.

• While you are on break, a customer spills a large drink in a busy area of the restaurant. Cleaning the floors is the job of another team member, but he is taking a customer's order. What would you do?
  • I am sometimes unkind to others.
  • I often lose my patience with others.
  • I dislike having several things to do on the same day.
Employers making more use of hiring tests - Business - Personal finance - Careers - msnbc.com

I'll add one more: When you were a kid, did you ever put up a NO girls allowed or NO boys allowed sign on your treehouse?

That question will weed out all the job candidates who have cooties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
And the tests also weed out the good employees.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
And the tests also weed out the good employees.
and people with any dignity.

I've said it before putting more and more hoops doesn't select for better employees just more desperate ones. If my skills were in demand and a company asked me to take a 2 hour psych profile test, multiple day long interviews, and an insanely long job application, chances are I will say F-you and go right to your competitor and add value to them.

The same goes for using temp agencies. Noone accepts a temp/contract job unless they are desperate and unemployed and then leaves once the find an FTE.

The same goes for long behavioral interviews. They select for good BSers.

If companies would select the most qualified candidates and just interview them to make sure they are competent and employable they'd save themselves a lot of grief.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-15-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
these tests prevent honest people from getting jobs

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I had to take one of these earlier this year. They asked me about 20 different ways if I was violent or had ever physcially fought someone. This job was not for a MMA fighter, so I guess they are assuming that the violent people are also too stupid to realize how to answer?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Good questions. Those questions would do a pretty good job of weeding out people who are too self-involved (or are simply a**holes) to be team players.

More often than not, a person's personality is more important than technical skills.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Good questions. Those questions would do a pretty good job of weeding out people who are too self-involved (or are simply a**holes) to be team players.
Assuming the said person is dumb enough to answer truthfully. Most people do not act like Jim Carey in the movie Liar Liar.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-15-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Assuming the said person is dumb enough to answer truthfully.
It is easy to see when people lie on these things. They leave inconsistencies all over the place, especially between test answers and answers to interview questions.

Here is the thing though: not everyone has to lie on that test. Some people are actually decent people.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is easy to see when people lie on these things. They leave inconsistencies all over the place, especially between test answers and answers to interview questions.

Here is the thing though: not everyone has to lie on that test. Some people are actually decent people.
I'd venture that everyone is occasionally unkind to people when they are annoyed by that person or in a bad mood.

Also people do a lot of things that anger most people.

However, when applying for a job or taking that dumb test, they are going to portray themselves in the best possible light. That means they will not be completely honest on that test. Most people aren't the Dalai Lama.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Just give them the 'correct' answer. Remember they are looking for malleable people with no strong feelings or emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search