Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times

Advertisements

Even though I am a tad proud of myself I am still left feeling like I have nothing to offer that employers want. I took my volunteer work off the top of my resume and shuffled it to the bottom in its own section since the consensus is that it doesn't count for much. Changing the title of my resume has garnered some more resume views, but alas nothing but insurance companies are responding. I am willing to start at the bottom of anything and learn very quickly. I am happiest when I am active and yet can't even find those jobs.

12 years retail, 2 years hospitality, 7 years non-profit.

Oh well.

Last edited by operaphantom2003; 03-01-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
What's your Bachelor's in and what's the MBA concentration?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
What exactly have you been doing at work and what is your undergraduate in?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM

132 posts, read 266,238 times
Congrats on getting your MBA! You've spent a long time training and qualifying for the race. Now its about to begin, so don't give up now! One of the biggest advantages of an MBA is utilizing the alumni network for landing a position...... be sure to take full advantage of it.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Have you tried linkedin?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Take this diploma and shove it and consider it a lesson learned. Go get a trade degree, do something useful with your hands. My MBA is collecting dust somewhere. I build cars now.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM

247 posts, read 751,191 times
Unless it is from a fancy school or you know someone at a company--the degree is overlooked & useless to most nowadays.
You start at the bottom & move up faster than others without an MBA; but, you will not walk into a top quality job like you were expecting.
Been there, done that. It's just the way it is now.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
An MBA is a highly desirable degree for employers, and 10-15 years ago would get you a nice job right out of school. Now there are many of them
with lots of experience applying for low pay jobs because so an MBA doesn't provide immunity to layoffs.

Hang in there and hopefully you can find something decent to get you started in business. Your previous experience is not something that will
help you when someone is looking for an MBA with experience. I recently hired someone with a recent MBA but he had 3 years of relevant experience gained while in graduate school. His position pays only
about $50k but I have high hopes for him to move up withing the organization.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
Unless it is from a fancy school or you know someone at a company--the degree is overlooked & useless to most nowadays.
You start at the bottom & move up faster than others without an MBA; but, you will not walk into a top quality job like you were expecting.
Been there, done that. It's just the way it is now.

Very true.

There are many worthless, mediocre, average, and good but not well known MBA programs out there.

At the very very minimum you must get an MBA from an AACSB accredited school.

To hedge your investment further, you should look for a school that is ranked as high as possible. Top tier schools have extensive network, attract certain professionals, and usually have far better resources to get you out in the better employment options after graduation than schools not as well known.

I view my current MBA program as more than just the academics (which are far more challenging than my last masters). The value is in the extensive network, my fellow classmates, my professors and their connections and insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment