Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Someone showing up at my company with a suit on without an invitation would make it very easy for me to think they are on some type of drugs.
lol. You are either the biggest troll on these boards or you have a complete lack of common sense.

If you ever want to figure out how to get a job with a chance of advancement in some of the biggest companies in this country, let me know. Until then, keep working your crappy little job and thinking everyone else is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol. You are either the biggest troll on these boards or you have a complete lack of common sense.

If you ever want to figure out how to get a job with a chance of advancement in some of the biggest companies in this country, let me know. Until then, keep working your crappy little job and thinking everyone else is stupid.
First sentence, second option correct.

Last sentence, no worries until he loses the job. He is consistent in his mindless meanderings and postulation.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq on TVandSportsGuy
You are either the biggest troll on these boards ...
Technically, he is a troller. (One who trolls.)

Troll is a verb and not the huge ogre who lives under the bridge.

In any case his complete inability to follow up quoted text with
a cogent response indictates that any posts by him should not
be responded to in any way. It took a few visits from the clue
fairy, but that is my conclusion.

Any posts by TVandSportsGuy can simply be ignored.

Such posts will keep showing up, but a simple push on the mouse
wheel will make the offending post disappear. If one is especially
sensitive, one can opt to put them on "ignore" using city-data
selectable options. I think "ignore" is for whimps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
The job-seeker cannot be bothered by worrying about
whether they have annoyed someone by stopping by.

If you are annoyed by the job-seeker then who cares?
They should when I shred their resume because they are
rude/obnoxious/annoying/stupid.
Sure, if that's what they were.
Such behavior would be a good indicator of future job performance.

You are comparing apples to hot dogs.

OTOH, my point was that if someone gets irritated by a knock on the
door, a courteous resume submission, and a tactful exit, then who cares?

The job hunter is going to run into those types over and over.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Sure, if that's what they were.
Such behavior would be a good indicator of future job performance.

You are comparing apples to hot dogs.

OTOH, my point was that if someone gets irritated by a knock on the
door, a courteous resume submission, and a tactful exit, then who cares?

The job hunter is going to run into those types over and over.
As I said, if they come in, hand me the resume and ask that I hand it to the hiring manager, smile, tell me to have a nice day, and leave, I've got no problem with that.

Far too many of them want to hang out and ask me a million questions or tell me their life story.

"Are you hiring?"
"When will you be hiring?"
"I dropped an application off three weeksago and no one called me, why not?"
"I've been out of work for awhile and need a job."
"When will someone who I can talk to about a job be in, because no one has called me."
"Have you hired anyone recently?"
"How much do y'all pay?"
"This is the third time I've applied, can you put in a good word for me?"
"Gas is getting really expensive, so I want to work near home."
"I need to get work with health insurance soon because I've got a hernia."
"I had to take the application and have someone fill it out for me because I can't read very well."
"My brother-in-law's neighbor said you were hiring."
"I don't have any experience, will they train me?"
"What type of business is this?"
"My parole/probation officer said I needed to apply for five jobs this week, so here's my application."
"I can only work 9:00-3:30, can you work around my hours?"
"I don't have a Green card, will you sponsor me?"
"Mary at the gas station said I should stop in here and mention her name and you'd give me a job."
"It's cool in here, my a/c doesn't work, I'm going to hang out for awhile, OK?"
"I need to use your can."

The list goes on and on, and more often than not they'll ask a half a dozen or more questions, none of which I can answer.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 AM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most get the hint when I tell them I'll give it to the appropriate person and turn back to my computer. Some don't, or are blinded by desperation.

They should when I shred their resume because they are rude/obnoxious/annoying/stupid.

Elsewhere, fine, not my problem.

Sounds to me like you're not really suited to the duties of your position(nor doing anything positive to your company's image). I'd love to see you join the throngs of people looking for a job in what is considered the worst recession since the great depression. I'd bet that you'd have a much different perspective on those trying to get out of their situation. You say 'desperate' as though its SO beneath you. A lot of people are desperate right now, trying to save their homes, take care of their families, etc. I'm not saying someone should hang around asking you a zillion questions, but damn, you come across as a real b-i-t-c-h.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
As I said, if they come in, hand me the resume and ask that I hand it to the hiring manager, smile, tell me to have a nice day, and leave, I've got no problem with that.

Far too many of them want to hang out and ask me a million questions or tell me their life story.

"Are you hiring?"
"When will you be hiring?"
"I dropped an application off three weeksago and no one called me, why not?"
"I've been out of work for awhile and need a job."
"When will someone who I can talk to about a job be in, because no one has called me."
"Have you hired anyone recently?"
"How much do y'all pay?"
"This is the third time I've applied, can you put in a good word for me?"
"Gas is getting really expensive, so I want to work near home."
"I need to get work with health insurance soon because I've got a hernia."
"I had to take the application and have someone fill it out for me because I can't read very well."
"My brother-in-law's neighbor said you were hiring."
"I don't have any experience, will they train me?"
"What type of business is this?"
"My parole/probation officer said I needed to apply for five jobs this week, so here's my application."
"I can only work 9:00-3:30, can you work around my hours?"
"I don't have a Green card, will you sponsor me?"
"Mary at the gas station said I should stop in here and mention her name and you'd give me a job."
"It's cool in here, my a/c doesn't work, I'm going to hang out for awhile, OK?"
"I need to use your can."

The list goes on and on, and more often than not they'll ask a half a dozen or more questions, none of which I can answer.
Very funny, funny, funny! No doubt there have been movies made which address the issue and of course they're always rated COMEDY. I have a horrible feeling that some who go to these movies and laugh like mad, don't even think about the fact that they do the same thing when looking for employment.

I have a small business and am going through the absolute PITS right now trying to find a replacement for my last bartender who had to return to the mainland for personal reasons. The recession is hitting here now and a natural assumption would be that there are some good people who would grab at a nicely lucrative and pretty easy P/T evening position. Not!

For the first time since I started my business 14 years ago, I've recently fired four people in six weeks. I'm extremely patient, very well organized and require from any applicant just basic experience in this particular field as I'm more than capable of teaching and everything is written out in detail where procedures are concerned. Plain and simple good attitude, the ability to follow written and verbal instructions, a work ethic and the ability to walk and chew gum are key. Until everything is learned I'm right there to jump in and help and neither complain about it nor make anyone's life a misery where simple mistakes are concerned.

When people try to steal from me, lie on their resumés, show up late, make stupid mistakes that a simple question to me could have resolved then and there, and repeat mistakes then yes, I might just get a bit testy.

If someone walks in cold with their resumé in hand and, as you say, gives it to me with a cheery brief greeting, hands it to me and asks that I look it over, I've no problem with that. At this point I would WELCOME it!

It gets very complicated and, although I know that my particular situation or dilemma rests to a certain degree on where I'm located, it does seem that the problem is running rampant throughout the US mainland.

I've lived outside the US mainland for 25+ years now but the general work ethic does seem to have deteriorated there.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I'm curious to know how owners/managers in professional office settings (such as architectural firms, etc) feel about job seekers showing up announced at their door? Now I don't mean showing up asking for an interview, but rather showing up to drop off a resume and make an introduction. (Particularly when there is NO job opening being advertised).

Do you feel this is rude or unprofessional in any way? Or do you feel that it gives that applicant a leg up on all the others?

I'm curious after this method was suggested to me on another forum. I've heard both sides already, but I was curious to see if there are any business owners on this site who could weigh in. Thanks.
In this economy, I almost feel sorry for them because it had to come down to that point where a person has to take that route. Don't get complacent in your position because you never know when one day you are on the receiving end and you get desperate to find a job yourself.

Some of us can sit back and be "comfortable" in making this comment about how annoying it is, (because you have a job) but its the nature of this economy. So when your job is on the chopping block and you can't find a job in over a year or so, lets see how you feel then.

Its hard out there and I have been there. Would I go that route, probably not, I haven't seen people do that since the 90's and its not the "norm" anymore.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me like you're not really suited to the duties of your position(nor doing anything positive to your company's image). I'd love to see you join the throngs of people looking for a job in what is considered the worst recession since the great depression. I'd bet that you'd have a much different perspective on those trying to get out of their situation. You say 'desperate' as though its SO beneath you. A lot of people are desperate right now, trying to save their homes, take care of their families, etc. I'm not saying someone should hang around asking you a zillion questions, but damn, you come across as a real b-i-t-c-h.
Ouch, and I couldn't disagree with you more. Annerk (and I don't agree with her all the time) has successfully couched her resources over many years to protect herself. Good for her! I didn't, couldn't and am on the borderline even though I own my own business and thus many outsiders think I'm just wallowing in it.

As much as I often wish that I was in the position which annerk is in, which is infinitely greater than mine, it just wasn't in the cards for me. At several points in my life it was but I opted for different paths and have no regrets thus far. Annerk does sometimes come off as rather condescending but I don't think that's her intent. She's pretty good at just stating facts.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
My "position" is NOT a front office position. I just happen to have inherited the desk closest to the door. I am pleasant when they walk in, and happy to take their applications/resumes. I don't have the time or inclination to listen to their life story or have them hanging around. Frankly my boss doesn't want me spending a bunch of time dealing with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
My "position" is NOT a front office position. I just happen to have inherited the desk closest to the door. I am pleasant when they walk in, and happy to take their applications/resumes. I don't have the time or inclination to listen to their life story or have them hanging around. Frankly my boss doesn't want me spending a bunch of time dealing with it.

If you are the one who has to handle inquiries who walk-in, then it IS your position, whether you like it or not. You may not have time for it, it may not be your fault, but the fact is you ARE in that situation, and you ARE the face of the company when someone walks through that door. It sounds to me like you should make an effort to get out of that situation (talk to your boss), as you obviously don't respect the people who come by looking for work. You are NOW saying you are happy to take their resumes??? WOW, That's not what you said before, not even close!

I am much more impressed with companies who show respect to the job seeker. Example:

Company A) Emails or writes you back after receiving your employment inquiry. Encourages you to check back in the future, and even encourages you to stop by if your ever in the area to make an introduction and tour the office.

Company B) Either doesn't respond back at all, or treats you like an annoying number when you politely call back to check receipt of your application. No matter how polite you are about it.

When this recession ends, and the dust settles, company B will have a much harder time finding good quality candidates than Company A, who actually cares about professional relationships. As that's what an employer-employee relationship is, it's a business relationship. Some companies get that, others clearly don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search