Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
If you are the one who has to handle inquiries who walk-in, then it IS your position, whether you like it or not. You may not have time for it, it may not be your fault, but the fact is you ARE in that situation, and you ARE the face of the company when someone walks through that door. It sounds to me like you should make an effort to get out of that situation (talk to your boss), as you obviously don't respect the people who come by looking for work. You are NOW saying you are happy to take their resumes??? WOW, That's not what you said before, not even close!

Go back and read #49 and #51. Both of them I said I was fine taking a resume and handing it to the right person. I have no problem doing that. I never said I did. What I do have a problem with is being asked to answer questions that there is no realistic answer to, and questions that half the time shouldn't even be asked anyhow. And I also ahve a problem with people taht want to hang out in the a/c, use the bathroom, or don't want to take a hint that I don't have time to hear their life story. My boss doesn't want me doing anything more than I do, nor does he want me wasting my time with unsolicited applications and resumes, 95% of which have no experience or certification in the type of work we do.

Quote:
I am much more impressed with companies who show respect to the job seeker. Example:

Company A) Emails or writes you back after receiving your employment inquiry. Encourages you to check back in the future, and even encourages you to stop by if your ever in the area to make an introduction and tour the office.

Company B) Either doesn't respond back at all, or treats you like an annoying number when you politely call back to check receipt of your application. No matter how polite you are about it.

When this recession ends, and the dust settles, company B will have a much harder time finding good quality candidates than Company A, who actually cares about professional relationships. As that's what an employer-employee relationship is, it's a business relationship. Some companies get that, others clearly don't.
We are primarily a skilled labor place. They've been around for going on a quarter century, and even in the best of times had no trouble recruiting and retaining good employees. We aren't advertising for help, and we don't have time to respond to everyone who walks in off the street to apply, let alone give them a tour--particularly when half of our facility requires special safety equipment to enter. This is NOT a typical fancy office environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
If you are the one who has to handle inquiries who walk-in, then it IS your position, whether you like it or not. You may not have time for it, it may not be your fault, but the fact is you ARE in that situation, and you ARE the face of the company when someone walks through that door. It sounds to me like you should make an effort to get out of that situation (talk to your boss), as you obviously don't respect the people who come by looking for work. You are NOW saying you are happy to take their resumes??? WOW, That's not what you said before, not even close!

I am much more impressed with companies who show respect to the job seeker. Example:

Company A) Emails or writes you back after receiving your employment inquiry. Encourages you to check back in the future, and even encourages you to stop by if your ever in the area to make an introduction and tour the office.

Company B) Either doesn't respond back at all, or treats you like an annoying number when you politely call back to check receipt of your application. No matter how polite you are about it.

When this recession ends, and the dust settles, company B will have a much harder time finding good quality candidates than Company A, who actually cares about professional relationships. As that's what an employer-employee relationship is, it's a business relationship. Some companies get that, others clearly don't.
Are you a candidate for Comprehensive Reading 101?

Seriously, you do seem to have one big chip on your shoulder and that bothers me a bit. Annerk pointed out quite specifically that her desk just happens to be closest to the main entrance and further contributed to your OP about dropping off a resume.

Why have you responded so angrily to her?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
[/i]

Go back and read #49 and #51. Both of them I said I was fine taking a resume and handing it to the right person. I have no problem doing that. I never said I did. What I do have a problem with is being asked to answer questions that there is no realistic answer to, and questions that half the time shouldn't even be asked anyhow. And I also ahve a problem with people taht want to hang out in the a/c, use the bathroom, or don't want to take a hint that I don't have time to hear their life story. My boss doesn't want me doing anything more than I do, nor does he want me wasting my time with unsolicited applications and resumes, 95% of which have no experience or certification in the type of work we do.
Go back and read #70 and #75. You're back peddling now.

Quote:
[/i]We are primarily a skilled labor place. They've been around for going on a quarter century, and even in the best of times had no trouble recruiting and retaining good employees. We aren't advertising for help, and we don't have time to respond to everyone who walks in off the street to apply, let alone give them a tour--particularly when half of our facility requires special safety equipment to enter. This is NOT a typical fancy office environment.
Now all the details come out. Your situation/environment really does not pertain to this thread. So I have to wonder why you responded, other than simply to VENT about your personal situation.

You personally are not an employer, nor hiring manager, nor do you work in a traditional office (So why are you adding post after post to this thread? Did you read the title and OP?). You're just fustrated that you're in a situation that puts you in a position to have to deal with all those stupid applicant-people who can't take a hint.

MOST offices (at least in my profession of architecture) are not faceless entities in which there is no secretary, no assigned person to deal with incoming calls and walk-ins. Most offices (even the smallest) have 'someone' who's job it is to deal with people who walk through the door, even if their title is not 'secretary'.

Maybe you should start a thread pertinent to YOUR unique situation. I'm sure there are people out there who can relate.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Are you a candidate for Comprehensive Reading 101?

Seriously, you do seem to have one big chip on your shoulder and that bothers me a bit. Annerk pointed out quite specifically that her desk just happens to be closest to the main entrance and further contributed to your OP about dropping off a resume.

Why have you responded so angrily to her?
I'm not interested in who you are friends with on here, nor who you have ongoing fueds with. If you have something constructive to contribute, then I'm all ears.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in who you are friends with on here, nor who you have ongoing fueds with. If you have something constructive to contribute, then I'm all ears.
Well, that's something I have to rigorously dispute. I am not "friends" with anyone who has contributed to this thread and likewise I am not "friends" with anyone who has contributed to any thread to which I've contributed.

Likewise I have no "feuds" with anyone on CD, to the best of my knowledge.

If you feel that I have nothing to contribute then that's your opinion and you can ignore me, but making assumptions - well, surely you know the old saying about assumptions?

I'm frankly quite gobsmacked as I responded to your original post completely on your side and have remained so. That's why I suggested you take a remedial course in Comprehensive Reading 101 as you suddenly went very angrily way into left field with your comments.

Nought much else to say except that maybe you should re-read this thread which you started.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Go back and read #70 and #75. You're back peddling now.

From #70:

Quote:
Most get the hint when I tell them I'll give it to the appropriate person and turn back to my computer.
From #75:

Quote:
As I said, if they come in, hand me the resume and ask that I hand it to the hiring manager, smile, tell me to have a nice day, and leave, I've got no problem with that.
There's no back-peddling at all, you just can't comprehend English.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well, that's something I have to rigorously dispute. I am not "friends" with anyone who has contributed to this thread and likewise I am not "friends" with anyone who has contributed to any thread to which I've contributed.

Likewise I have no "feuds" with anyone on CD, to the best of my knowledge.

If you feel that I have nothing to contribute then that's your opinion and you can ignore me, but making assumptions - well, surely you know the old saying about assumptions?

I'm frankly quite gobsmacked as I responded to your original post completely on your side and have remained so. That's why I suggested you take a remedial course in Comprehensive Reading 101 as you suddenly went very angrily way into left field with your comments.

Nought much else to say except that maybe you should re-read this thread which you started.
Ha! I stand firmly by every comment I have made. Left field? Not in the least, I have no time for people who use my thread as a venting ground for their own personal insecurities. I could care less about discussion forum loyalties, friendships, cliques, or ongoing fueds between longtime members. If you feel I was harsh, then so be it, it makes no difference to me. I am very appreciative of those qualified individuals who responded to the original subject matter. We have a very mixed bag of results, and it was an interesting discussion.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
From #70:

From #75:

There's no back-peddling at all, you just can't comprehend English.

Even your own defense has an overtone of pomposity. Amazing.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Even your own defense has an overtone of pomposity. Amazing.
No more so than the obviously enormous chip on your shoulder.

You think it's perfectly acceptable for people to wander into a business that is not advertising for help, and then play 20 questions with the first person they run into, even after that person has told them that they will pass on the resume/application to the appropriate person? If so, tell me where you work so I can send them all your way.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
No more so than the obviously enormous chip on your shoulder.

You think it's perfectly acceptable for people to wander into a business that is not advertising for help, and then play 20 questions with the first person they run into, even after that person has told them that they will pass on the resume/application to the appropriate person? If so, tell me where you work so I can send them all your way.
When did I say it was acceptable? quote me. I'll wait.....

As I said, you need to start your own thread, as you have taken this thread in another direction to serve YOUR own dilemna. Which has nothing to do with my OP.

Nonetheless, I will take the high road on this and leave you to sulk. I have better things to do then get drawn into a 20-page argument with a person who spends their entire life on this forum. 6800 posts? Damn, no wonder you don't have time for those stupid applicants who can't take a hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search