Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times

Advertisements

for those that have a problem with it, i need to know, what's the best way for someone to stand out? because it seems nearly impossible to stand out as a candidate when you're flinging your resume through cyberspace for god knows who to read.

by the way, i've shown up to places to deliver a paper resume and cover letter for a job that i've applied to online, just to maybe stand out a bit more, and was told that they only accept resumes through the web site. it's ridiuclous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM

17 posts, read 61,310 times
It is important to follow directions. Standing out does not get you a job; it gets you noticed in a bad way as someone who is unprofessional and does not know the rules of jobseeking. The way to get noticed for a job is to be a qualified, experienced candidate. The only jobs I know where you can walk in off the street and maybe talk to a hiring manager are fast-food positions.

I have been invited for an interview to 99% of the jobs I've applied to online because I only apply to jobs where I fit the criteria. I'm not trying to kick anyone while they are down. I am a single mom and I can only imagine how desperate I would be if I were unemployed. But there is no "magic trick" to getting hired.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417 View Post
It is important to follow directions. Standing out does not get you a job; it gets you noticed in a bad way as someone who is unprofessional and does not know the rules of jobseeking. The way to get noticed for a job is to be a qualified, experienced candidate. The only jobs I know where you can walk in off the street and maybe talk to a hiring manager are fast-food positions.
I've talked to people in my profession (architecture) who have taken the initiative and walked into firms that are not hiring and landed interviews (and eventually jobs) this way. It's not the norm, but people do it. Some employers respect it, some don't.

I am qualified and experienced by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417 View Post
I have been invited for an interview to 99% of the jobs I've applied to online because I only apply to jobs where I fit the criteria. I'm not trying to kick anyone while they are down. I am a single mom and I can only imagine how desperate I would be if I were unemployed. But there is no "magic trick" to getting hired.
99%? That's seems like a stretch to me, at least in the 'great recession' era we are now experiencing. Have you been out there in the trenches looking lately? It's brutal to say the least. I've been through recessions before, but those were a bump in the road compared to this. I'm certainly not looking for a 'magic trick', just exploring my options.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
You run the risk of being annoying. If there is a job available, it will be posted, this is not the age of we will have it posted this weekend in the paper, you can place an ad online and have it out there for the world to see in 15 minutes. The odds of you walking in off the street and getting a good network contact without disrupting the flow of their workschedule are less than the $2 million check that Letterman gave Halderman will clear.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM

125 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
You run the risk of being annoying. If there is a job available, it will be posted, this is not the age of we will have it posted this weekend in the paper, you can place an ad online and have it out there for the world to see in 15 minutes. The odds of you walking in off the street and getting a good network contact without disrupting the flow of their workschedule are less than the $2 million check that Letterman gave Halderman will clear.
If there is a job available it will be posted? Perhaps at your company. The majority of jobs in this country are not advertised. (Not my opinion, look it up). Especially in this recession. In my field, firms are getting bombarded regularly by people seeking jobs. They don't need to spend money advertising.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
It probably works better in jobs with high turnover (fast food places, hotels, shops at the mall, etc.). However, in this economy, even the traditional high turnover jobs aren't hiring as much. People are hanging on to their jobs, even the lower pay ones.

But at my accounting firm, jobs are not advertised. I knew one of the accountants and was able to get a job when an opening occured. When we get an unannounced applicant presenting their resume, we quickly read it and if meets our criteria, we thank the applicant for their interest and file it. This may sound harsh, but if doesn't meet our criteria, we trash it after they leave.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
I'd say what do you have to lose by going in. If anything, they'll tell you they're not hiring and you can leave it at that. Just the fact that you're expanding your search, I'd say you're increasing your odds of finding something.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 61,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I've talked to people in my profession (architecture) who have taken the initiative and walked into firms that are not hiring and landed interviews (and eventually jobs) this way. It's not the norm, but people do it. Some employers respect it, some don't.

I am qualified and experienced by the way.

Cool. I did not mean to infer that you were not. It seems to me that this kind of ambush tactic is not something someone who was qualified and experienced would need to resort to.

99%? That's seems like a stretch to me, at least in the 'great recession' era we are now experiencing. Have you been out there in the trenches looking lately? It's brutal to say the least. I've been through recessions before, but those were a bump in the road compared to this. I'm certainly not looking for a 'magic trick', just exploring my options.
I have been in the trenches lately, albeit as someone who is still employed. In the last year and a half, I applied to 14 jobs and I received 12 invites for interviews, so you're right that's not actually 99%. I work in higher education and there is always hiring being done at the various colleges and universities in my state. In fact, I recommend higher education as a relatively stable field for someone to pursue. It's one of the few industries that doesn't value youth over experience.

Back to the topic, as an office hiring manager (which I currently am), I would not be impressed by someone stopping in. It screams of desperation on their part and inconsideration of my time.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ
You run the risk of being annoying. ...
That might be a risk, but it's a risk of no consequence.

If you annoy someone - so what?

Quote:
... you can place an ad online and have it out there for the world to see in 15 minutes. ...
Yeah and you have no idea who is answering the ad.

People walking in off the street leave nothing
to the imagination - appearance-wise.

Quote:
... The odds of you walking in off the street ...
Again. So what?

If you are unemployed, what have you got better to do?

The odds of you emailing an employer and getting a job
via the internet are mostly nil also.

I've found work as a public accountant before by walking around.
I've gotten interviews and not gotten a job by walking around also.
I've had receptionists take my resume 'to the back' and had someone
come out and talk to me like a real human being.

I've also had receptionists just take my resume and put it in somone's In-Box.
That's mostly what's going to happen.

If you email a response to an open job req. your resume is mostly
going to go to the same place where the [Delete] key is going to
be hit before it ever gets read.

Reality is that there will be 100's of resumes in the email stream
and no one will dedicate the time to actually consider each and
every one of them.

Even more real is that more and more, resumes will be sorted by
computer and if your resume doesn't meet the search criteria,
it will just disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417
... as an office hiring manager ...
I would not be impressed by someone stopping in.
It screams of desperation on their part and inconsideration of my time.
That's the risk the job-seeker on foot has to take.
See above comment on "risk."

I've had other office hiring managers say they were impressed with
someone willing to walk the streets in a suit. I've had them say that
even when they had no job to offer. I've had them say that they
would have considered me if they were hiring.

The risk of meeting someone who is not impressed with me ... [ see above ].
You don't care about me. I don't care about you. We're even.

Last edited by mortimer; 10-09-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
If you don't make that much of an impression face to face when you drop off a resume, then you don't have anything to worry about. Apparently you are very easily forgotten. Most professionals remember annoying people. You asked for an opinion, you can disagree with my opinion all you want, but, it is my opinion, and I have earned it thru years of experience. If you don't want to listen to other people's opinions, don't ask. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search