Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 AM

352 posts, read 1,005,013 times

Advertisements

What is the proper decorum when telling the interviewer you're still employed? Does it reflect badly on you if you say that you're still employed?
As in you're searching for work behind your current employer's back.

(though I don't think you should lie to say you're not working when you are still working)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
What is the proper decorum ...? Honesty is never a bad idea.
Does it reflect badly on you if you say that you're still employed? It's your best feature compared to the competition.
hth

Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
As the saying goes, you have to have a job to get a job.

I'm not sure what the 'decorum' is. You put on your resume "XYZ Widgets Co. 2005-current" and then explain in the interview why you are interested in finding a new job (without criticizing your current employer).

If they are interested in hiring you, they will ask in the interview or after how soon you can start. Usually you need to provide two weeks' notice (for senior positions it's not uncommon to give three or four weeks' notice). In giving your answer, consider what your company's policy is, if you want any time off between jobs for a vacation (remember you might not be able to take time off at the new job for six months or a year depending on their policy) and how much COBRA insurance premiums will cost you, if applicable.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
This is a complete non-issue. Employers assume you are working if you don't have an end date on your last job listing on your resume. And I can't fathom an employer that thinks you are "sneaking" behind your current employer's back.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Regardless of your present situation, it is always best to be honest and sincere with your answers to anyone's questions, and interviewers are no exception.

When you are employed and looking for work, you are not committing any crime. You are hoping to expand your opportunities beyond what exists. There is nothing wrong or disloyal about that search.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,610 times
I think it's leverage because you're not as desperate as some other applicants. You can negotiate for better benefits this way. Just don't put your current employer as your reference, unless they know you're leaving already. Otherwise it would be awkward if they called your current boss for a reference while you're still working.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Odd question considering all of the people complaining that companies won't interview the unemployed.

If asked, make sure that one main reason you give for wanting to leave the current job is the opportunity to work for them. Do plenty of research and
cite several facts about what makes them an ideal employer for you so they know you are really interested in working for them, not just looking for a new job.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I have never heard of it being an issue. No one expects you to work for one company your entire life.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
"Does it reflect badly on you if you say that you're still employed?" NO it is a plus. Companies do not like to hire someone without a job. It sucks and is not ethical but it is that way in this country. They assume you were laid off for a reason... Except this is so ridiculous because MOST people I know dealt with some sort of layoff or work reduction between 2008 to current times. SO SO SO many Americans....

If I had to do it all over again, I would job hop like crazy. The people that make the biggest bucks are very opportunistic like this.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"Does it reflect badly on you if you say that you're still employed?" NO it is a plus. Companies do not like to hire someone without a job. It sucks and is not ethical but it is that way in this country. They assume you were laid off for a reason... Except this is so ridiculous because MOST people I know dealt with some sort of layoff or work reduction between 2008 to current times. SO SO SO many Americans....

If I had to do it all over again, I would job hop like crazy. The people that make the biggest bucks are very opportunistic like this.
Companies do hire people who are unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search