Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

You can ask, but because of privacy laws the company doesn't have to provide them. I doubt it is a practice they are used to. They would have to ask the employees if it is okay to allow someone to call them.

I have had people interview me in my current role and why I have stayed at my job etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
Whenever I was interviewed for my current job, I noticed current employees name tags had pins with their years at the company. I was very impressed to see the majority had 5 or more years. Coming from a company where I was the senior manager with less than 2 years with the company this made me feel good.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Potential employers certainly check potential employees' stories by calling their past employers. Shouldn't it work both ways? Shouldn't a potential employee check potential employers' stories by calling past employees?
Generally, it is very easy to learn about many facets of a company by spending about 30-60 minutes on-line with your friend Google.

And people should do this with any company they consider taking a position at.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Just as you will only provide good references when asked, the potential employer is only going to provide good references if you ask. So while you could ask, and they might oblige you, it's still worthless information. If you want to know about the company, do your own work, don't expect them to do it for you. There are websites where employees can input information. And you can ask your professional peers if they have opinions about the company's culture.

During the interview process you can ask to tour the facility or meet the team you will be working with. You don't have to ask outright what it is like to work for the company. Take note of the 'temperature' of the office as you walk around. Are people huddled at their cubicles or freely collaborating? Do the potential coworkers seem stiff and nervous or relaxed and happy.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So you want the potential employer to give out contact information for their past employees? .
Yes, similar to the way employees provide their references. Companies know they'll end up being a reference for an employee at some point. I'm sure if given the chance, many employees would like to be able to give references on previous employers. I know I would!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What is stopping you? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
So who is doing the hunting?
Well, really, my point was to make a statement that it is not done and to ask why this is not done. It would be in the best interests of both parties if refereces were provided. Open disclosure is the best policy so that both parties know what they are getting themselves into. In any relationship, both parties need to fully informed, yet it is the employee who goes in blindly.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Yes, similar to the way employees provide their references. Companies know they'll end up being a reference for an employee at some point. I'm sure if given the chance, many employees would like to be able to give references on previous employers. I know I would!

Well, really, my point was to make a statement that it is not done and to ask why this is not done. It would be in the best interests of both parties if refereces were provided. Open disclosure is the best policy so that both parties know what they are getting themselves into. In any relationship, both parties need to fully informed, yet it is the employee who goes in blindly.
Both are fully informed, given they put the effort in to get in touch with people.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
I guess it would matter if the guy was in the mafia.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:

But it IS done. At interviews we ask questions about them, interviewing them just as they are interviewing us. We investigate the company history, check out their financials, and ask around about their reputation. Or at least, most of us do. If you don't, that puts you in the minority.

But it is a mistake to assume that sharing references is 'open disclosure'. References are essentially marketing. For both parties, they demonstrate the positive aspects. I mean think about it--your references don't even know all the details about your life, good and bad--let alone disclose them to potential employers. The same is true for the reverse. You can ask for references from an employer, but they aren't going to know all of the details of the company's business let alone disclose them to you.

It is for this reason that most employers do their own background checks and do not rely heavily on references. You should do the same.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
You are correct. Many potential employees lie about their credentials and experience. However, even more employers lie or don't tell the whole truth about the position. They always speak about how the employer should protect himself and investigate every detail, including background checks, drug tests, credit history all the way to facebook and social media websites. That, in addition to former your employer references.
The potential employee has little to go by, in particular with private businesses. But if you even catch the employer with a clear lie - so what? You can't do anything, except resigning.
Yes, life's unfair...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:32 PM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Both are fully informed, given they put the effort in to get in touch with people.
Ok, I have to ask, how is the employee fully informed as compared to the employer's ability to call past employers? It may be the employers past employees aren't on linked in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
But it IS done. At interviews we ask questions about them
And later they call the candidate's past employers. Candidates can't call the employer's previous employees.
Quote:
interviewing them just as they are interviewing us.
Not the same! I see that you're saying there are some aspects of the research process that are on equal footing but the one I am talking about isn't (yet).
Quote:
We investigate the company history, check out their financials
Close, but no cigar!
Quote:
and ask around about their reputation.
If we're lucky enough to find someone.
Quote:
But it is a mistake to assume that sharing references is 'open disclosure'.
It was a mistake for me to use the word 'references' in the title of the OP. At least in the body of the OP I got it right (by not using the word references).
Quote:
References are essentially marketing.
You're right about that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
But if you even catch the employer with a clear lie - so what?
Trying to prevent that by calling the employer's past employees. They surely won't hold back, and, if the employer knows they'll be called, there would be a lot less shenanigans going on than there is today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search