Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Maybe it depends on the industry or profession of the position. I went to an informational/interview yesterday evening. It was my first time going to an employer event labeled that way. They had the candidates fill out a 4-5 page application and then turn in copies of our college or post graduate transcripts and certifications (if applicable). The staff person took them to go make copies and then returned our transcripts. There were 12 people, so it took her awhile for all the copying to be done. Afterwards, another staff person came in and introduced herself as the manager of xyz department for the position that we'd applied for.

First, she gave an overview of what she would be covering. Then she proceeded to give us a very detailed breakdown of what the position entails and answered questions as well as what level of degree was required (informational). Basically, if you didn't have a certain degree you realized quickly that it was a waste of time to stay any longer. The informational part of the session took about 2.5 hours without a break. At the conclusion, she walked over to a corner desk in the room and individually interviewed us one-on-one ranging anywhere from 5-10 minutes average. There were twelve potential candidates in the room. In all it was a very long night but she stated that everyone would receive an email in a couple of weeks informing them whether they were/were not hired. I appreciate the fact that we were interviewed especially after so much time had been spent for the informational part of the event.

The informational part is to let you know what their minimum requirements for the position is so that it's clear to both parties before wasting time on an interview if this isn't a position they'll consider you for. It also allows the company to inform a larger number of people at one time (instead of 12 individual informational sessions) what their requirements for employment are and weed out those that don't fit the criteria at one time. A very busy hiring manager only has to work one evening late to inform and interview people instead of scheduling 12 individual interviews at various times over a week or two. It's best to be prepared in case the employer will be interviewing immediately following the informational part. Best wishes!

Well he already made it clear on the voice mail that there are no openings right now and it's a networking type of interview so I definitely don't expect to be filling out any applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
You are playing on city-data all day, why can't you answer your phone? Answering and returning calls in a timely manner should be your priority.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Hopefully it isn't a multi level business opportunity.....

Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Hopefully it isn't a multi level business opportunity.....
it was just a networking interview not a interview for a position I applied for.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You are playing on city-data all day, why can't you answer your phone? Answering and returning calls in a timely manner should be your priority.
when he called at 4pm i thought it was ok to wait until the next day at 9am to call him back. So i guess for now on if someone calls me at 4pm i will return the call before the end of the business day.

If i don't hear from him today i will just move on

Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
when he called at 4pm i thought it was ok to wait until the next day at 9am to call him back. So i guess for now on if someone calls me at 4pm i will return the call before the end of the business day.

If i don't hear from him today i will just move on
So you sit at home unemployed, screening calls instead of answering your phone when it rings? What is the purpose of not taking calls? Why would you wait until next day?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So you sit at home unemployed, screening calls instead of answering your phone when it rings? What is the purpose of not taking calls? Why would you wait until next day?
I don't want to be caught off guard if a employer calls me i write down the message and prepare myself before i return the call. I waited until the next day because my suit was still in the cleaners and he may have asked to meet with me the next day. So i decided to call him at 9am the following morning to set something up for today or friday.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I don't want to be caught off guard if a employer calls me i write down the message and prepare myself before i return the call. I waited until the next day because my suit was still in the cleaners and he may have asked to meet with me the next day. So i decided to call him at 9am the following morning to set something up for today or friday.
Do you ever answer the phone when an employer calls? You write down a message for yourself? By not answering the phone, you just placed yourself at the bottom of the pile. The employer will continue his search and the position could be filled by the end of the day. Repeat after me, "Tomorrow is too late."

Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Do you ever answer the phone when an employer calls? You write down a message for yourself? By not answering the phone, you just placed yourself at the bottom of the pile. The employer will continue his search and the position could be filled by the end of the day. Repeat after me, "Tomorrow is too late."
Since it was so close to 5pm I figured that waiting until 9am the next day was fine. If he had called at 12pm of course I would not have waited until the next day. So from now on if someone calls between 4pm and 5pm I will not wait until the next day. Also that was the first time a employer called me that late in the day. Usually all calls from employers are before 1pm. So that's why I was so surprised when someone called me that late in the day.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
If you only have one suit and the meetings or interviews you're banking on require one, maybe it's time to purchase another so that you're prepared - or have your one suit cleaned at a "one day" cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search