Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 AM

828 posts, read 907,763 times

Advertisements

Would you put off job hunting while getting a divorce? What if there was a custody battle?

My problem is the ex can be quite destructive. He's already caused me much strife, and it's affected me in every way, including current work. I'm afraid to start a new job and in the middle of making a good impression, get sidetracked by my ex.

I'm also concerned about taking time off for court and lawyer meetings. My current employer understands.

At the same time, I've been separated for a long time. Do I really have to continue to put my life on hold indefinitely?

Would love to hear from those who've been there.

P.s. Is there a way prospective employers can figure out who we are on this site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
I would avoid it. Too much time off, you don't know exactly how it will end. Particularly with custody and visitation issues.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You are better off staying where you are for now since you know you will need to take a lot of time off.

No, employers can't identify you here unless you reveal too much information about yourself.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
"I'm also concerned about taking time off for court and lawyer meetings. My current employer understands."

Then stay at the current employer. Understanding is not universal.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Agree.
Also, in a new job, you have to be alert all the time at first. In a known job, you can likely coast, which will be a lot better if you're having upsets. No, life isn't on hold forever, but for the present time until all this is ironed out. Having an employer "who understands" is golden.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Well why would you want to change jobs? Certainly there are risks to starting a job search while you're going through a messy divorce. But they may not outweigh the benefits of getting a new job.

It really depends on your individual situation. Your lawyer should be able to advise you as to whether or not it would be risky for you to undertake a job search before the divorce is finalized.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Agree.
Also, in a new job, you have to be alert all the time at first. In a known job, you can likely coast, which will be a lot better if you're having upsets. No, life isn't on hold forever, but for the present time until all this is ironed out. Having an employer "who understands" is golden.

^^^^^ this. Stay put. You have no idea how long this might drag on and you may find you have to spend more time in court than you planned.

When you start a new job whether you're a low level employee or the CFO you're expected to be there.

Having an employer and coworkers who understand your situation is golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search