Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 19,184 times

Advertisements

So, I interviewed with a Fortune 100 company on Feb 17 and they said they would let me know the status of my application within this week. As you know it has passed Friday and I have yet to hear a response from them. I know I should wait to hear a response because there might be some troubles deciding the best candidate.

I went to glassdoor.com to see the interviews that people had for a certain position in that company. And it just so happen that one person posted about not receiving a job offer for the position I was interviewing for. Also, I know that individual was my with me that day when I was interviewing because of the description of the post and it was posted within this week.

So, any signs what this might mean for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,937 times
There's no way any of us could know what the hiring people at that company are thinking.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
It's my experience that the larger the company, the slower the hiring process becomes.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times
Did you send a thank you email letter?? I would call them this upcoming Friday and ask for an update. I would not stop sending out my resume if i were you. In fact, don't stop until you get a job offer.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Why wait? You should not commit to any one company until they've at least made a verbal commitment to you.

As for what's going on, there's probably a ton of candidates and the manager is still conducting interviews while still performing his/her normal managerial duties. Or the manager went on vacation. Or the HR person in charge of your profile is sick. Or the company is restructuring. Or there's a big deadline. Or...

If it's a big company, thank you emails are pointless. The only email contact you'll have is HR and they will not forward useless emails to the hiring manager.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why wait? You should not commit to any one company until they've at least made a verbal commitment to you.

As for what's going on, there's probably a ton of candidates and the manager is still conducting interviews while still performing his/her normal managerial duties. Or the manager went on vacation. Or the HR person in charge of your profile is sick. Or the company is restructuring. Or there's a big deadline. Or...

If it's a big company, thank you emails are pointless. The only email contact you'll have is HR and they will not forward useless emails to the hiring manager.
Not so fast. Often HR vets incoming resumes, but the interview is actually performed by the hiring manager and my experience is that the hiring managers card is always given to the applicant.

If this was the case, I hope the applicant has already sent a thank you email to the hiring manager.

I do agree that the OP should keep applying for jobs until they have at least a verbal.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Don't hold your breath. This is just a standard response given to everybody. It literally means nothing.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not so fast. Often HR vets incoming resumes, but the interview is actually performed by the hiring manager and my experience is that the hiring managers card is always given to the applicant.

If this was the case, I hope the applicant has already sent a thank you email to the hiring manager.
I usually don't get business cards from the interviewer. Maybe I have once or twice.

But then again, I wouldn't bother sending thank you emails anyway.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I usually don't get business cards from the interviewer. Maybe I have once or twice.

But then again, I wouldn't bother sending thank you emails anyway.
I almost always was handed a card, and anyone who comes in for an in-person interview is given mine.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 45,571 times
Deus,
Corporate America is funny. These interviews can go either way. Sometimes you think you hit a home run after the interview, and yet someone else (i.e a person the manager knows with less skills) get the job. This has happened to me. The sad things they told the recruiter that was the reason I didn't get the job.
I would keep searching while you wait for them to get back to you. Try to get as many interviews as possible, which increase your chance of being hired at a company.

Good luck
Rbx10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search