Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yep whenever my car is broken I ask the mechanics that I am considering
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
What is your greatest weakness?
Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?
How would you handle a conflict with a coworker?
What would the ideal customer/boss be like?
Do you like to fix cars alone or in a team with other mechanics
Thats funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No, even for internal transfers, applicants would meet with the team lead, probably a peer or two, in addition to the manager. The manager probably already talked to the applicants current manager and gone over their past performance reviews. It's no where a rigorous as an external applicants. Internal "interviews" (we didn't really even call them that) are much less formal, and less technical in nature. We trust the resume of internal applicants more, don't feel a great need to "test" them on their technical skills. And the terms, projects were probably familiar enough we don't need clarification. If there is a role change involve, we usually ask questions that is more related to the difference in roles. There is a discussion afterwards to make the decision.
But that is just my experience at largely large companies, around 10,000 people at the particular location.
There is no lead. They are simply hiring 4 tech support people from our call center. My current supervisor is going to manage those 4 people. My current supervisor & another manager gave the interviews.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
There is no lead. They are simply hiring 4 tech support people from our call center. My current supervisor is going to manage those 4 people. My current supervisor & another manager gave the interviews.
It sounds like they wanted people who already had experience with doing support. They try to see if you would could transition into the support role, and thus the questions they asked. I don't think there was any questions of your technical qualification, they already know you can do that part of the job.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Thats funny.
Yeah, but unrealistic when you do IT support.

Most of the issues that comes into support are NOT actual problems. Most of the time, it's people who didn't know how things worked, or user error.

It's like telling your mechanic you had a problem with your car. The mechanic have to find out what your problem is. Only to find out you don't know how to put the keys in the ignition! And then the mechanic is supposed to patiently, and in details walk you through how to do that. It in no way utilize the mechanics technical knowledge...because putting the keys in the ignition is something one would expect the owner of a car to know. THAT is what IT support is like.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Yeah, but unrealistic when you do IT support.

Most of the issues that comes into support are NOT actual problems. Most of the time, it's people who didn't know how things worked, or user error.

It's like telling your mechanic you had a problem with your car. The mechanic have to find out what your problem is. Only to find out you don't know how to put the keys in the ignition! And then the mechanic is supposed to patiently, and in details walk you through how to do that. It in no way utilize the mechanics technical knowledge...because putting the keys in the ignition is something one would expect the owner of a car to know. THAT is what IT support is like.
"Do idiots annoy you?"

One question, 10 second interview. No need for hours of fluff and pomp.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It sounds like they wanted people who already had experience with doing support. They try to see if you would could transition into the support role, and thus the questions they asked. I don't think there was any questions of your technical qualification, they already know you can do that part of the job.
Not really. One guy who got the position said that he didnt really know how to use computers. He just applied for the heck of it. 9 customer service reps applied for the position

Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Next time i'll just put anything on my resume since they dont ask anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search