Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Normally that'd be the case, but it's an employer's market, and they low ball like hell. They'll take someone with 5 years experience and give them assignments and a workload which reflects that, yet only pay $10/hr.
I know a fair number of people who have changed jobs in the last few years and got a healthy bump in salary to boot.

It really depends on what the position is and what the applicant's experience is. The larger the pool of qualified applicants, the more likely the wages will be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:20 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Oh I know employers wish they could include that with their job postings.

No one wants to train anyone just entering the work force. They are trying to low ball all the people who have years of experience into jobs that require them to do experienced work at entry level pay.

Without on the job training you can't hit the ground running, so tons of qualified applicants are being passed up every day and employers would rather leave positions empty than take on someone new.
I have yet to work for a company that trains its employees.

Training in my experience has been "Here's a laptop, try to figure it out. Don't ask me too many questions, I'm busy."

Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
What's the job? Your background? And the area you live in?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 PM

134 posts, read 367,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I know a fair number of people who have changed jobs in the last few years and got a healthy bump in salary to boot.

It really depends on what the position is and what the applicant's experience is. The larger the pool of qualified applicants, the more likely the wages will be lower.
And that's why I've shied away from IT as hard as I can.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
very true OP, i use to hear that the degree did not matter so much because the company would be more than willing to train you. Obviously there are some exceptions: you are not going to hire the English major fresh out of college for that empty Nursing position at the local hospital - however does it seem that far off a stretch to hire that same English major for that entry level HR position or that sales opening?

Apparently it does because heck one can't even get entry level positions or internships anymore. You don't match their requirements 100%, nuts to you because I got XX number of people applying for the job.

So then you are stuck in what I call "the cycle of suck":

1) need experience to get hired yet can't get experience in the first place so there goes the hiring
2) Go back to school get more in debt pursing a field that is "hot" at the present
3) Hope that minimum wage or volunteer work is enough to set you apart from the other applications

Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Why would an employer waste time and spend money training people when there are so many experienced applicants for every opening? That just wouldn't be practical. They are in business to make money, not to be a job training center. Where I work (2,000 employees) the least experience required is 3 years, most are 5 or more. Even so we do have to train on some specifics of the work but hiring experienced people reduces that greatly. And, we have not lowered the pay to take advantage of the bad economy, though the increases have been small 2-3% they have been every year.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Why would an employer waste time and spend money training people when there are so many experienced applicants for every opening? That just wouldn't be practical. They are in business to make money, not to be a job training center. Where I work (2,000 employees) the least experience required is 3 years, most are 5 or more. Even so we do have to train on some specifics of the work but hiring experienced people reduces that greatly. And, we have not lowered the pay to take advantage of the bad economy, though the increases have been small 2-3% they have been every year.
Unless we're talking about a highly specific technical position, all jobs require some type of training. No one knows how to do every single little thing required of them when entering a new position. It takes time to be as efficient as possible.

I'm not talking about some 4 year apprenticeship. I'm talking about one, two months TOPS to really get into the swing of things.

Hell, you all the experience in the world doesn't change the fact that you could be doing a new job with the exact same title you previously had, and yet things will be totally different and you'll need time to adjust.

It's not a flaw that you can't be pointed to your desk and that's all the information you'll need.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Employers are just getting ridiculous these days. I see ads for restaurant jobs with a decent, but not very high end chain. They are hiring for bussers, hosts, and servers and want 2-5 years of upscale restaurant experience.

Give me a break. Someone with a college degree can easily be trained to be a waiter, let alone a busser or a host. This 5 years experience thing is ridiculously stupid.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 699,662 times
Quit blaming employers.

Blame workplace regulations that make it difficult to fire an employee. Even in right-to-work states, employers are skittish about terminating incompetent employees.

Also blame universities for dumping money into boondoggle, micky mouse projects as opposed to solid career placement/training for students. Also blame them for pumping up recent grad's salary expectations.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Employers are completely to blame for why I can't find a minimum wage job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search