Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I didn't say to send an application to 2 different places.
Here's what you said..

Quote:
Don't send it to the hiring manager INSTEAD of to HR. Send it to both.
Translation: Send your application and resume to BOTH the Hiring Manager AND Human Resources.

Maybe you didn't make your point clear enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV702 View Post
Screw HR. Put your detective skills to work and send your resume with a brief note to the hiring manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And then it'll get tossed in the garbage can because you circumvented the process.

You just can't win.
Quote:
Don't send it to the hiring manager INSTEAD of to HR. Send it to both.
Quote:
For the record, I'm NOT saying one can't be successful doing that.

However, more likely than not, it's going to blacklist you for the position because it'll be considered that you sent in two applications at once. In most small business, the Hiring Manager is the head of Human Resources, thus they're one in the same and you're sending your resume to both of them. In other organizations, chances are both departments will see your one application anyway (the Hiring Manager will see it to interview and select the candidates, HR will see it to filter the applicants and process your paperwork).
Quote:
I didn't say to send an application to 2 different places. Submit an application and whatever is requested, and send a resume and cover letter to the dept manager, if you can find out who it is. I also never said anything about small businesses.
Quote:
Here's what you said..

Translation: Send your application and resume to BOTH the Hiring Manager AND Human Resources.

Maybe you didn't make your point clear enough.
"It" was referring to a resume not an application. You are the one who missed that part.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
"It" was referring to a resume not an application. You are the one who missed that part.
It's common procedure to submit your resume with your application, or not provide a resume at all. Thus, I used "resume" (which in some cases, such as applying for jobs on Craigslist, is your appplication) and "application" interchangeably, a means in which you show interest for a position.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It's common procedure to submit your resume with your application, or not provide a resume at all. Thus, I used "resume" (which in some cases, such as applying for jobs on Craigslist, is your appplication) and "application" interchangeably, a means in which you show interest for a position.

I'm not sure what your point is.
For the record I was hired about a month ago, and this is what I did:

Followed the instructions for applying for the job i.e. e-mailed a resume and an application to HR.

I found the department manager on Linkedin and sent an additional resume and cover letter to him directly. Not a 2nd application, a resume.

I sent 1 application, and 2 resumes.

A resume and an application are not the same thing. No one ever said to send in 2 applications. I don't know why you are fixated on that.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
For the record I was hired about a month ago, and this is what I did:

Followed the instructions for applying for the job i.e. e-mailed a resume and an application to HR.

I found the department manager on Linkedin and sent an additional resume and cover letter to him directly. Not a 2nd application, a resume.

I sent 1 application, and 2 resumes.

A resume and an application are not the same thing. No one ever said to send in 2 applications. I don't know why you are fixated on that.
1. Congrats on your job.

2. I didn't say a Resume and Application were the same thing. I said they each serve the same purpose, as a means for you to express interest for a position. That's not hard to understand either.

3. Your experience is not everyone's experience, in fact, it's probably the exception (thus, it's "useless advice", which is worse than "no advice"). Most places have processes and procedurese to things, including filling a position. This is because many HR departments and Hiring Managers are swamped with other work, and they don't need folks circumventing the process (by sending them your resume AGAIN after sending it once, because I imagine the first application and resume would have been seen by the Hiring Manager anyway when they were ready to select candidates) and distracting them from their other work. If someone tells you to apply for a position a cetain way, you better follow direction and do what they say.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
^^^^^Has WHAT exactly to do with the poor OP's question? You guys are fighting about the giving of advice that is not even on TOPIC.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
1. Congrats on your job.

2. I didn't say a Resume and Application were the same thing. I said they each serve the same purpose, as a means for you to express interest for a position. That's not hard to understand either.

3. Your experience is not everyone's experience, in fact, it's probably the exception (thus, it's "useless advice", which is worse than "no advice"). Most places have processes and procedurese to things, including filling a position. This is because many HR departments and Hiring Managers are swamped with other work, and they don't need folks circumventing the process (by sending them your resume AGAIN after sending it once, because I imagine the first application and resume would have been seen by the Hiring Manager anyway when they were ready to select candidates) and distracting them from their other work. If someone tells you to apply for a position a cetain way, you better follow direction and do what they say.
I'm done arguing. You said I said something I didn't. All I'm trying to do is clarify. You misunderstood what "it" referred to. That's all that happened.

And no, a resume is not always considered an application. Many places require both. Your experience is no more valid than mine.

OP, from what it sounds like, using key words in white font is probably not very worth while.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Theoretically, it's a "secret" for a reason.

If they told you the "secret", then their objective won't be achieved (which is having as few applications to sift through as possible). Besides that, the "talking heads" we deal with probably don't "rig" the systems, but their managers do (so even they probably don't know how the system eliminates applicants).

My point? Don't hold your breath for HR to chime in on this subject.

The only thing you will hear from a HR person is why you're such an evil individual.
I hope I never get as bitter as this.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The best way to do this is to take him out to dinner or to the club prior to sending your resume.

Perhaps this works for an upper management position, but this would never fly in the companies I work for. You would have a lot of explaining to do.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Perhaps this works for an upper management position, but this would never fly in the companies I work for. You would have a lot of explaining to do.
MTE, it's okay for a professional job or commission job. Otherwise, be prepared to be embarrassed. This is Sims style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search