Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
These tests are new but the idea is old; I think they used to give them all the time in the 1950s, but they fell out of fashion.

Ahh, fastcompany agres with me about the 1950s:
Personality Tests: Back With a Vengeance | Fast Company

The reason you always answer "strongly disagree" to "Many people cannot be trusted" and similar questions about other people is that the theory is that people answer based on the person they know best -- themselves. Dishonest people expect other people to be dishonest, and honest people expect other people to be honest. This is obviously stupid (any honest person who has been burned a few times will think otherwise), but that's the theory.

I'm not sure if the same theory applies to "People do annoying things" and "people are mean to you", or if the theory is that they don't want to hire someone easily annoyed, but either way, those and similar questions are Strongly Disagree as well.

Then there's trick questions: "You feel nervous when there are demands you can't meet" -- if you smell a rat here and think that agreeing means you're admitting there are demands you can't meet and you're therefore not up to the job, you're right. Strongly disagree.

The one about "You know when someone is in a bad mood, even if they don't show it" is kind of strange. To "strongly agree" is to profess to be a mind reader, but apparently that's the right answer.

Basically they're looking for a hard-working, uncomplaining (to the point of being a doormat), gregarious, naive, superficial optimist. Keep all that in mind and you won't need the answer key... though it's all over the web.

(And the real correct answer to "People do a lot of things that make you angry" is "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." But that doesn't fit on the form.)
This gave me a chuckle, as that's totally opposite of who I am...LOL. I don't work hard, I work smart, when it suits me. I'm a highly skilled complainer - always have been, and yes, I drive people crazy sometimes...lol. I'm introverted, opposite of being gregarious. Naive, I am not. I'm in the camp that you just cannot trust most people. End of story. I'm never, ever superficial - I tell it like it is, and I'm the world's worst actor - good thing I don't play poker...lol. Optimist? Never! Negativity rules! I am, after all, the Master of Chaos.

Guess I'd not be the most "ideal" employee in the world, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
Wether or not the tests are right or wrong, the simple fact is they are being used to exploit and weed out the unemployed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
If you can't be bothered taking a battery of online tests that take ten hours or so then you don't deserve to make the $8.00 dollars an hour these jobs are offering.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
If you can't be bothered taking a battery of online tests that take ten hours or so then you don't deserve to make the $8.00 dollars an hour these jobs are offering.
It just seems to be a bit of overkill for a min wage job.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Wether or not the tests are right or wrong, the simple fact is they are being used to exploit and weed out the unemployed. Nothing more, nothing less.
Based on the questions I see they seem to be targeting and weeding out introverts the most. Companies seem to have an absolute vendetta against introverts. They think they are antisocial misfits who can't operate on a team and so on.

Any anwsers along the lines of
I have trouble starting conversations
I tend to hang out alone
I prefer working by myself

and you go straight to the trash. Just remember to answer like an ambitious, sensitive, extrovert and you will do fine.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
More likely they are being used to whittle down a mountain of applications for a single position. If you get 100, 200 or more applications for one job, some broad cuts need to be made - a company likely does not have any time to personally review a massive bolus of applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Based on the questions I see they seem to be targeting and weeding out introverts the most. Companies seem to have an absolute vendetta against introverts. They think they are antisocial misfits who can't operate on a team and so on.Just remember to answer like an ambitious, sensitive, extrovert and you will do fine.
Actually (if the test is being used properly) they already have a "profile" based on the responses given to the test items by higher performing employees in a given position. What they then look for, are responses that match that profile.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
Maybe that should be made known to applicants. You know, like a few words on the screen that says "we get lots of applications, this is to help control the numbers etc. etc". The fact is people are being led on wild goose chases and shenanigans. When a person is about to be homeless or desperately needs a job, the last thing on the counter is wasting time.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden
I never had any personality test for job. I though only the jobs like airline pilot, fire fighter sometimes have to take those because you don't want to hire crazy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
even the simple low-end minimum-wage jobs in retail, fast-food, customer-service, they make you take those personality assessment tests, it's a new generation thing they probably installed like 7 or 8 years ago when Computers became more dominant

I don't know. I never take any of those personality test. I only worked for 8 years and have 3 jobs.
First job was an internship with EDD.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
I just applied for a job at a local cigarette shop (just till something better came along) and had to take a personality test. It is really becoming insane where these are turning up.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden
I never had any personality test for job. I though only the jobs like airline pilot, fire fighter sometimes have to take those because you don't want to hire crazy people.

I don't know. I never take any of those personality test. I only worked for 8 years and have 3 jobs.
First job was an internship with EDD.
not even for a place like Walmart, Target? because they make you take them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search