Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times

Advertisements

- "experienced professionals know all this." Typo correction. My mistake.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
- "experienced professionals know all this." Typo correction. My mistake.
That's ok. We all make typos every now and then.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM

You know what, though? I have always preferred to deal with companies that either don't have an HR dept or have a small HR dept. with limited power. I have also networked and was able to bypass the HR, which meant that their role in my hiring was, let's say, substantially limited to the point where HR was only explaining benefits and reviewing my application and other materials. Basically they had no decision in hiring me. I say, have an HR but don't give them too much power.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
I don't agree with all these scary hiring processes but are told by top management to administer them if I want to keep working. Most are not my idea!
PUH___LEEZE!!

This so called HREXPERT, is nothing but a little troll. We've had them for years. Jane and Jerry, played the HR game 3 years ago. probably same one trying to drum up threads for CD. This crap is so third world biased, not one industry in the US would allow in reality.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,999 times
Somehow, me thinks the OP is not an HR expert.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Somehow, me thinks I agree as well. That list looks like it was copied straight out of some book; i.e. Cynthia Shapiro's.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,730,302 times
Quote:
Eliminate everyone who has a name that sounds ethnic or is hard to pronounce.

But in IT industry, they will only hire people with names that sounds ethnic.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,190,947 times
HRE,

wow, that's rough. Thank god my name is Ronald. I hope that's too ethnic sounding.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Regarding this, yes I have encountered a lot of this. I have been looking for a corporate job for years and to be honest I am giving up. I am tired of these kinds of interviews and they seem to be the majority now:

1. Age discrimination. I am 41 and while I don't look it I know employers look at my experience and can figure it out. Often they will bluntly ask if I graduated HIGH SCHOOL a certain time (unlike college, high school can tell you the age because most graduated at 17 or 18, not everyone graduates college at 22). Others have made comments like "your experience is old school" and one employer bluntly told me I was too old to work for the radio station because it was a top 40. Interesting because this station ALWAYS hires and I would have stayed.

2. Asking whether I have kids or plan to have them. I am childless and would like to have a child but no idea if I will. A few employers ask because they offer maternity leave and want to mention it. I say bs but okay. Others will go around the issue and ask if I have other obligations like having a family. I've had employers bluntly tell me they don't like to hire mothers because they won't want to work or will just want to quit. Whatever.

3. Why I have a gap. Why do I have a gap? BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO HIRE ME. If someone had overlooked my age or the other factors I wouldn't have a gap. I have a masters, work experience, various computer certifications, and even speak Spanish but still no hiring.

4. Less qualified people getting the job. I have managed to Google and snoop on various sites to find the person who ended up with the job. In many cases it is someone more qualified than me and I understand this. However more often than not the person is much less qualified, including recent grads. I have seen a lot of jobs go to visa workers too.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM

216 posts, read 475,762 times
Default looking for a job

I would like to add that some corporations include in their background screening things like
medical problems of you and your family, workman's comp claims and any legal action
against a previous employer.

Illegal aliens whose identity is only a year old and never file workmen's comp claims
have a real advantage in some job categories.

I loved the HR interviews though becuase I was in comp programmer. If they just slid me through to the manager I'd be nice and polite because they knew nothing about the job I was doing; but if they played games, I got nasty.

One lady asked me what I'd like to be when I grew up. (I was 40 at the time)
and I decided I had enough.

I said anything except working in personnel.

When she asked me why, reminding me that everything I said was going on
her report, I just responded with a smile that I wouldn't feel very secure in a career
when the company could replace me with a call to any temporary clerical office.
I got the job offer, turned it down.

Personnel hated all us computer geeks with a passion; The pay scale was white collar
but they showed up in jeans and combat boots. I didn't. The managers really
hated us, especially when it came to salary guidelines. I was averaging 50% per year increase just by jumping jobs.. Just when I got competent it was time to leave.

Working for an airline once I was given my yearly review
of zero out of 10 and asked what I was going to do about it. I said I would need
a 50% percent increase within two weeks. I laid my latest job offer on the desk.

That was a little awkward because after they matched it and I agreed to stay
I quit a few months later and then on the way home from my new job which fortunately
wasn't far away, I dropped in and maintained their systems for free otherwise the flights
would fly empty and the airline would go bankrupt and I owned a lot of stock.
It took them five months to get a replacement up to speed.

The manager realized something that made him really crazy then. I only needed a few minutes a day to do the job that was supposedly full time.

That's the big secret in comp sci. It might take a while for someone to learn a language or a system, but once you do it's like tying your shoes. Iv'e had consultant interviews for projects budgeted for six months I could write the program they needed on the way home. You get overpaid while your'e learning and grossly underpaid after your'e up to speed.l

Last edited by grayrunner; 10-08-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.