Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I'm not even certain the headhunter I'm giving it to will pass it on to employers initially so I'm thinking that might make it more acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Just curious. I'm not even certain the headhunter I'm giving it to will pass it on to employers initially so I'm thinking that might make it more acceptable.
Generally, A resume should be one page. It should not just list the dates and companies but accomplishments and a focus on skills-especially ones that pertain to the job you want. Customizing a resume for the jobs you are applying for can be time consuming but can help a great deal.

One important tip: A resume should be able to stand out on a smartphone within 15 seconds. Get their attention, Then get the interview.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Depends on the area.

I work in a professional area, where conference presentations and publications are considered a positive. It would be impossible for me to get my relevant work history, national presentations, and publications down to 1 page. Mine is currently 2.5 pages. I've never had an issue.

But I would say typically if you are applying to a straightforward job and you do not know anyone within the company keeping it to 1 page is best.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM

469 posts, read 913,772 times
Im a hiring manager for our company and single page is the way to go. You need to front load your resume with fresh and recent experience. It also needs to be in line with the job you seek. If you apply to be a painter or driver, tell me why you are a good painter or driver. Dont tell me about being a cashier at CVS.

I also call them out of the blue at an odd time for the first screening interview. For example, 6-7 in the evening or 12pm on a Sunday. Gives you a real idea of who they are without all the acting in a prepared or scheduled interview.

When Im looking for a job, I send a basic resume & cover letter to the CEO, CFO, HR & thier department director. Even if they dont have an opening, they call 90% of the time with an offer or recomendation. If nothing else, they will send it to other hiring managers.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
I haven't had a one page resume in a long time. And as a hiring manager I generally expect to see more than one if the job experience calls for it.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Depends on your field and experience.

My resume is 2 pages, but I have many years of work experience as well as industry specific experience not directly related to my primary employment. Things like independent consulting, government/legislative involvement, that type of thing.

With that being said, the first page of my résumé is all the heavy hitting experience. The second page, which includes certifications, side jobs, etc is visually different because of the content, so a prospective employer can easily distinguish between the two.

This is generally true of academic resumes that I have seen as well. Different sections deal with different relevant topics, such as teaching experience, research interests, publications, etc. each section is clearly labeled and serves a purpose for the intended audience.

Unless you are in a specific field where this is the custom, I would probably err on the side of brevity and keep it to one page.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
While I won't pass up someone because of a multi-page resume, unless the information presented is all very appropriate to the job, I might consider it a sign that the person has problems being concise
and organizing key points effectively, which for some of our work is critical. With the cover letter there is no reason to go to a second page on the resume except for a high tech position where there is a laundry list of software and systems training and experience.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
You want it to be as short as feasible. That said, what's actually acceptable will depend on various factors - including industry, your experience, the position itself, and even the hiring manager. As you can see above, there are various answers - some hiring managers will accept longer resumes.

It really comes down to how its organized as well. I've seen one page resumes that would have been better off as 3 page resumes as the applicant had no spaces between sections and the margin was like 1/8th inch.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
There is no hard and fast rule anymore, it can be more than one page if the second page is truly relevant, professional work experience, no padding. It depends on the field as well, it's best to ask people in your specific field.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I haven't had a one page resume in a long time. And as a hiring manager I generally expect to see more than one if the job experience calls for it.
Mine is also 2 pages... I'm changing jobs and the interview/offer I got a couple weeks ago didn't hold that against me.

I don't see how I could possibly list my experience and certifications on one page unless I cut the font size in half and supplied a magnifying glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search