Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times

Advertisements

I guess in my scenario it's a little rougher as I'm trying to get a finance job with only a couple years of experience. Also, being in NYC the competition is crazy.
My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I told her hundreds to thousands of people apply to every position until I showed her an unpaid internship on linkedin that had over 300 people apply...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
I don't recommend craigslist to find ANY job period unless you knew the companies name and verified it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but how do you know there aren't regular people posting those ads just to see who their competition is? Now someone you don't know has your personal information.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM

69 posts, read 167,308 times
My first job out of college, and the one I'm still at now 3 years later I found through craigslist, kind of, it was a link to a recruiting website. Slightly below 50K but with good benefits, and definitely a "real" job. Currently looking for a change, and I'm talking with another company who I found through craigslist, have my third interview tomorrow. The way I see it, craigslist is the modern day classifieds. Certainly there were winners and losers in the classifieds, same goes for craigslist. With some due diligence, common sense, and a little luck, there are good jobs to be found.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM

244 posts, read 634,264 times
I got my current job through craigslist. 4 Years later, still there.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,952 times
In my experience, Craigslist is one of the best sites to look for a job. Indeed and CareerBuilder are also very effective, but I'd say Indeed or Craigslist is the best... they are constantly updated everyday.

I've applied for jobs in person through Craigslist, real, full time jobs. I just did it a few days ago even.

If Craigslist is considered bad... then I must ask: what IS considered good? All these sites you have to ward through tons of jobs you can't do... tons of junk... but you also see a few jobs you can do too.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Definitely possible but for anything above $50k they are going to want a very specific set of skills.

I found this job in Washington, DC

Fire Sprinkler Professional NICET III (Washington D.C. )

Quote:
Fire Sprinkler Professional NICET III

NICET III, lead Sprinkler Technician needed for immediate opening in Washington D.C. - Baltimore areas. Needed to perform mostly test and inspections with some service and a little install. Install would probably be M.A.C. work (Moves-Adds-and-Changes). Extensive experience and Familiarity with pump tests, dry trip, partial trip all phases of annual. semi-annual, quarterly sprinkler inspections on wet, dry, pre-action systems with some clean-agent work. Work to be performed in Government and non-government commercial buildings. Clean driving record and back-ground check for entry into government facilities.

Pay is negotiable. Company vehicle, benefits, 401k, etc. NOTE: This position has a contractual obligation for a NICET level III certified person (Test and Inspection of water based systems). If you are not NICET level III certified, your application will not be reviewed.

salary range; $70,000.00 - $85,000.00
work area; Washington D.C. - Baltimore
Here's the problem they got, I am looking at the registry and as of January 9, 2013 there is not a single NICET III (or I or II for that matter) living in Washington, DC.

In Virginia there are 53 Level III's living in the state. In Maryland there are 43 NICET III's so the maximum possible pool of applicants from the two surrounding states and the district totals 96 people. The problem for the people looking have got (I know what they need, they got federal contracts) is there's 100% employment in the field. While they will most likely receive hundreds of applications they'll be lucky if they get one applicant that meets the qualifications. What I like about the field is if they get one that's qualified there won't be any BS'ing about they'll just hire him because where else are they going to go?

So there are good legitimate jobs but they are very specialized and specific.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1jq View Post
In my experience, Craigslist is one of the best sites to look for a job. Indeed and CareerBuilder are also very effective, but I'd say Indeed or Craigslist is the best... they are constantly updated everyday.

I've applied for jobs in person through Craigslist, real, full time jobs. I just did it a few days ago even.

If Craigslist is considered bad... then I must ask: what IS considered good? All these sites you have to ward through tons of jobs you can't do... tons of junk... but you also see a few jobs you can do too.
I have also seen recently that scammers put the actual name of a legit company (For example: Progressive Insurance) and list a position, however, when I went to the Progressive website, the position is not listed! If there is an open position, it should be listed on the company's website too.

Also, pay attention to the email you are supposed to reply to. If the Ad is truly from Progressive, the email should be something like: Tcampbell@progressive.com. It should not be: Tcampbell@yahoo.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search