Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM

62 posts, read 144,834 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is contemplating the pursuit of a two year Associates degree(AAS) in Business Management from Ort College. She is not able or willing to do a Bachelors degree because of needing to work and pursue other responsibilities, she is just conflicted if the two year degree will hold any clout in the workforce when applying for Office Management positions? Currently, she does not have any degree, only experience as an administrative assistant and office manager. She understands that even persons with four year degrees are not necessarily getting jobs at this time, but wants to improve her chances of landing a decent Office Management job or any decent paying office position(15/hr or more).
Obviously, a four year degree is ideal , but would you guys suggest her even bothering with a two year, if that were her only degree option?
We are trying to weigh out the benefit of having the Associates vs. just her having work experience and if that will make much difference , if any, when she pursues a job as an Office Manager. There are other two year degrees at Ort College, like Medical Office Manager, but we figured that would be even less useful. If you were hiring someone to be an Office Manager would the Associates make any difference to you?
Her only other option would be a Medical Billing Certificate (one of those 6 month things), but I have heard those jobs are hard to get now as well, while paying only 10$/hr. Obviously, counselors will tell you anything at these Colleges! She has been struggling with this decision for over a year and can't really find answers. Given it is only a two year degree, she would be quitting work and burning through her savings to pursue it, so it really needs to be worth while eventually.
Perhaps, at very least having a two year degree would make her appear more disciplined, intelligent , legit on a resume?

Is there anyone out there with insight or advice regarding the worth of an Associates degree in the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM

110 posts, read 330,643 times
I don't think a 2 year degree is worth it for business management, simply because their are so many people with bachelors degrees in business management. But that doesn't mean 2 year degrees are always bad. Some of them are good, especially the healthcare ones.

Also, a 2 year accounting degree will allow you to be a bookkeeper. It doesn't hold the same responsibilities or pay as a full CPA accountant, but the money is decent. In the business world, I would say this is one of the only positions where a 2 year degree is acceptable.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
I don't think a 2 year degree is worth it for business management, simply because their are so many people with bachelors degrees in business management. But that doesn't mean 2 year degrees are always bad. Some of them are good, especially the healthcare ones.
I agree, but a two year degree is much better than none. For entry level jobs that will be an advantage over those with no degree, or a two year in an unrelated field.

We actually have jobs that require a minimum of a two year degree, but are getting people with post-graduate degrees applying. Management positions are requiring a minimum of bachelor with master "preferred". No degree guarantees a job, so whether it's "worth it"
is unknown.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM

110 posts, read 330,643 times
another thing that could be good for her is that she is already working as an administrative assistant. Does she work for a big corporation? if so, then getting a degree could allow her to move up internally to a higher role.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,222 times
Agree with others at 2 year is better then none. She can go for the 4 year online as time and money permit.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM

62 posts, read 144,834 times
The AAS will prevent her from using it as a continuing degree. She wanted to pursue the Business Management degree for the purpose of trying to use it to become an office manager. Does anyone know if Administrative Medical Assistant degrees pay off?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
If she has a decent job now....she might think about continuing to work and build up experience and take courses for 2 yr degree at night. It would be hard, and take longer, but it might impress some employer that didn't think much of just a 2 yr degree. If I were hiring, I would look at work experience along with education. But maybe that's just my opinion. I wouldn't think much of someone that quit a good job on the chance of getting a better one with a 2 year degree.

Maybe she could investigate some on-line courses.

Medical Office manager pay depends on the size of the practice and the number of people supervised. She needs to learn about medical insurance coding so that she could say that she could fill in for the insurance clerk when needed. That six month certificate could mean a lot to an office manager.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM

162 posts, read 348,899 times
I think an associate's degree that barely qualifies and gets you the job is better than a bachelors and being told you're overqualified.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM

83 posts, read 194,091 times
Get the AAS, my first degree was a AAS and when I decided later in life to go back for a bachelors all of my credits transferred. Any degree beats no degree when filling in a application/resume.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,229 times
Have you heard of Western Governors University? They have a BS in Business Management that many students are able to get through in 2 years because it's accelerated (and many people are working full time jobs while they do this). If she can get through it in that amount time, it will only cost her about $14K. It is not the most prestigious school, but it is regionally accredited and people are getting jobs with these degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search