Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I am guessing that people who do not know the difference between "you're" and "your" likely have issues with these tests.
Haha, funny you bring that up. There seems to be a total disregard for grammar and spelling in the corporate world that I've worked in. My manager is always like "your welcome" after I tell him thanks for the help. Argh!!! I'm not perfect, and most of my errors are due to me rushing through something, but you'd think something as simple as that would be addressed and fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
One cannot answer these test items, "wrong" or "right". That is not how they are designed.

I don't know much about rocket science...mainly because I am a psychologist by training. So I do know a thing or seven about personality test construction and interpretation.

Thanks. I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses.
Ill be here all day arguing with people like you.

No tip, but have a great day.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Just like anyone who doesn't know the difference between "has", "had" and "have" and doesn't know how to use prepositions also has no clue of what they're talking about?
Funny. They will correct others, but when corrected they are speechless.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Does he have a valid point?
Yes he has a valid point. If you want work, let me know via direct message.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Just like anyone who doesn't know the difference between "has", "had" and "have" and doesn't know how to use prepositions also has no clue of what they're talking about?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
It's nice to see that so many third grade teachers are able to take time out of their day to correct posters on this board.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You're at the mall and in the window at a small store you see the now hiring sign. You tell them you’d like to apply and they give you an application. You fill it out and all they do is put it under the counter and say thank you and you never hear from them and the help wanted ad is still in the window week after week. Is this "gatekeeping"?
When you went to the store were you dressed the same way as they were? Did it look like you would fit in with the other workers? Many stores that cater to a specific audience only want similar people working in that store. May not be right but is is a fact. I mean you want to work at Tilly's then you may want to dress in active, scate, surf, or similar clothing. Arive in what they sell. If you want to work at Sears you may want to be dressed up a bit. Put a tie on if you are a guy. Please, please, do not apply at sears in the same clothes that you apply to Tilly's in. Both are a differant market even though both may be at a mall.

Want to know if you mirrored the store in any way? I did this for other jobs I had over the years. Now I do it when we hire others. If they look like they will fit in more than just a resume but also in how they look then we give a second look. I remember this one guy that came in looking like a slob. Why would we hire him? Is he going to look that way at work?

OK, So you applied for a place that you want to work at. You didn't like that they didn't call you back although they still have the job offer listed in the window. Did you think to go back? Did you ask to speak to someone about the job? When you went back were you dressed the same as others in the store? How much work did you put into getting the job? Did you offer to work for free or hang out there just to see how it is working there?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I know exactly how you feel. Every week or so, there's the usual finger-pointing routine at my house. I've been called lazy, turning a blind eye to advice, etc. There are stuff where I have done wrong in my life that I don't deny, but I don't appreciate feeling any worse than I already feel about it. I think it matters what I can do NOW to fix the mistakes I made, not what I did in the past.

It's frustrating when the finger pointing begins, especially when people seem to think you're a robot and you're not human enough to make mistakes.

I am walking that road right now friend. But we can't give up, even when things are rough.

But, I will add that you can't make excuses for yourself right now. You have to PUSH, and when I mean push, I mean PUSH. Right now I am planning to go to my local library for help and head back to the Labor Board again for help as well. Something has to happen, but you have to fight for it.

I learned it the hard way. While your relative may have been harsh, he has a point.

Oh, and one more thing, can't you get workstudy at the college or something? I did workstudy while I was going to college until I got a part-time job as an IT Desk Assistant. While they weren't glamorous jobs or anything, they did put money in my pocket and I learned a few things along the way.

Last edited by deposite; 04-06-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
While the relative made a valid point, there are still those that like to judge and be nasty to the unemployed and that is what should not be happening.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I know exactly how you feel. Every week or so, there's the usual finger-pointing routine at my house. I've been called lazy, turning a blind eye to advice, etc. There are stuff where I have done wrong in my life that I don't deny, but I don't appreciate feeling any worse than I already feel about it. I think it matters what I can do NOW to fix the mistakes I made, not what I did in the past.

It's frustrating when the finger pointing begins, especially when people seem to think you're a robot and you're not human enough to make mistakes.

I am walking that road right now friend. But we can't give up, even when things are rough.

But, I will add that you can't make excuses for yourself right now. You have to PUSH, and when I mean push, I mean PUSH. Right now I am planning to go to my local library for help and head back to the Labor Board again for help as well. Something has to happen, but you have to fight for it.

I learned it the hard way. While your relative may have been harsh, he has a point.

Oh, and one more thing, can't you get workstudy at the college or something? I did workstudy while I was going to college until I got a part-time job as an IT Desk Assistant. While they weren't glamorous jobs or anything, they did put money in my pocket and I learned a few things along the way.
Today is a new day. The start of a new week. With a month that is still nearly new. Spring is here. This is the time to show everyone how you are getting it done and are far from lazy.

1. Did you get up and get ready for work? If you are not yet working then your job is to get a job. You need to act as though you have one allready. Up by 6am, shower, dressed, have breakfast. What ever your before work routine is get it done so you can get started.

2. What is your plan for getting a job? If you don't have a game plan, your job today is planning. You need to get that resume put together. This will take some time to do. Do you have a career portfolio? This will list everything that you have ever done before and have knowledge in. You may want to do this before you put the resume together. You may be surprised at all the things that you have done in your life. The biggest thing is your accomplishments. Make sure you show the employers how you did something.

3. Who do you want to work for? List the top 10 companies that you want to work for. List why you want to work for them. List why you would be an asset to them. List any problems that they have now and your solution for solving those problems. research these companies to find out all you can about them. Search Forbes, the WSJ and any other sources to find out about them. Find out what their goals are and where they want to be in the next 5 to 10 years. Find out who they compete with and learn about them as well.

4. After the preperation is done, go after your target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search