Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times

Advertisements

Factory jobs are nowhere to be found in my area unless you have some kind of connection, and even if there was, I doubt they'd hire someone like me who only has a ged diploma. Not if they have tons of applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup, which is why the average Joe needs to do something to make themselves above average. Mediocrity should never be considered acceptable.
Google "ad hominem attack".

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Factory jobs are nowhere to be found in my area unless you have some kind of connection, and even if there was, I doubt they'd hire someone like me who only has a ged diploma. Not if they have tons of applicants.
I can't believe some mention factory jobs. What do they think this is? The 1950s? Lol

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Unfortunately many people do seem to still have that old fashioned mindset. They are usually well off and never suffered hardships and have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. They call people who have issues lazy without knowing a single clue about the situation at hand. As I have stated many times, it is a MAJOR disconnect in the psyche.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I can't believe some mention factory jobs. What do they think this is? The 1950s? Lol
You are ignoring and mocking a rather large slice of employment.

Factory jobs of the well paid, Detroit variety are largely gone. But in my area, there are plenty of jobs in logistics, warehousing and distribution. These positions aren't being thronged with applicants the way the more well known positions are. Warehouse supervisor makes $50k+ here in my area, to start.

I believe that a lot of opportunity is being missed by people who don't go to greater lengths to learn about many industries and the underbellies thereof.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
^I think he was primarily referring to assembly line workers, and the misbegotten notion that one can casually walk into any factor and land a job as long as you're dressed well and speak intelligently...

Parried: If you aren't hearing anything back at all from any entry jobs of any kind and you're not applying to any specific field, it's time to change up your resume and fill it with exaggerations, half-truths, padding, and or outright lies that can't be verified.

Not like it would make things worse to drum up such a resume...

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM

The job-seekers ratio, December 2000

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
Great attitude. Don't even give the employer a chance in hiring. That sounds like a great plan. If you keep doubting employers you will be 50 living at the local food kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Good job pissing people off. Many do factory work and would laugh because they HAVE a job. While the rest complain because they have no idea what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
^I think he was primarily referring to assembly line workers, and the misbegotten notion that one can casually walk into any factor and land a job as long as you're dressed well and speak intelligently...

Parried: If you aren't hearing anything back at all from any entry jobs of any kind and you're not applying to any specific field, it's time to change up your resume and fill it with exaggerations, half-truths, padding, and or outright lies that can't be verified.

Not like it would make things worse to drum up such a resume...
I have told this to parried also. He doesn't want to listen. A lost cause.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Good job pissing people off. Many do factory work and would laugh because they HAVE a job. While the rest complain because they have no idea what they are talking about.
Many of them probably got that factory job in 1950 too, or at least before this recession and free trade kicked in.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I have told this to parried also. He doesn't want to listen. A lost cause.
you told parried he should lie on his resume? and not jokingly, like the person you're quoting?

great advice d00d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search