Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
My situation is that I've been unemployed for a very long time. I was in and out of school during the whole duration and was in a position where employment wasn't a priority. My chances of getting employment is akin to that of a felon despite me not having a criminal record.

Not really.

I think in your case.....you should set the bar lower. A year or two in an entry level job can be a good springboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Not really.

I think in your case.....you should set the bar lower. A year or two in an entry level job can be a good springboard.
I don't have the credentials to set my own bars. I'll settle for minimum wage right now, and those are hard to come by.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Everyone always has an opinion. What's most important is how you feel about yourself. There is always room for improvement so if you relative has suggestions on how you can improve your efforts then I would listen but if he/ she is just pointing fingers then he/ she should keep his/ her comments to him/herself
He's giving suggestions fortunately.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
At five years of unemployment, you need to make changes in your life. Move, figure out a daycare option, buy a bicycle, learn something to make yourself marketable, something. After five years it is you, and only you. If you actually want to work, you will figure out how to get around you obstacles and find a job.

If you are disabled, you need to work with your local or State organization for assistance in finding and maintaining a job. Same thing with if you are a convicted felon. Otherwise, frankly there is no good reason to be unemployed that long.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
My situation is that I've been unemployed for a very long time. I was in and out of school during the whole duration and was in a position where employment wasn't a priority. My chances of getting employment is akin to that of a felon despite me not having a criminal record.

Ok, so employment wasn't a priority the past five years but, now that it has become a priority, you are having a hard time finding work (and explaining the long stint of unemployment)?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Even if being unemployed for over 5 years?
Anyone that is unemployed 5 years needs to lower their standards... Or in your case... Make employment a priority.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok, so employment wasn't a priority the past five years but, now that it has become a priority, you are having a hard time finding work (and explaining the long stint of unemployment)?
My father isn't doing as good financially because his business is suffering. I just need pocket money while I finish up my degree.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I'm not sure what problems you are running into when looking for work. Are you currently a full time college student living at home? If that's the case, I'm leaning towards your relative's opinion.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm not sure what problems you are running into when looking for work. Are you currently a full time college student living at home? If that's the case, I'm leaning towards your relative's opinion.
How is it possible to get employment when you lack reliable transportation in an region where it's heavily reliant on an automobile to get to point a to b? Nevermind a poor working history that virtually kills your chances of landing a position. Like someone else mentioned, never point fingers if you've never been in anyone's shoe.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
To the OP, I think deep down inside you know your own answer as you know your own entire story. Or you might fully realize your own situation more as you get older.

Your relative is correct to some degree when you look at how things are all over creation. I give myself some perspective and it might help you in some way.

I do wish you good luck on the job hunt, I empathize and relate to how it is not easy for some of us out there, whatever the reasons may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search