Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Anyone who is working for less than $20/hr is crazy. Since when is picking cotton in the fields "good work ethic?" Big Business has brainwashed the people into working more and more for less and less. Why anyone will work at McDonalds for peanuts to make someone else rich is beyond me. All the working poor have to do is organize a mass labor strike and its game over for the greedy corporations.
I'm not qualified enough to get a $20+ hour job. Until I can afford to get a second degree or something, I have to work for peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Homebuilders Struggling to Find Workers

Right now there should be all kinds of work for people.

Look at all of the homes and business being destroyed all over the country
( by floods hurricanes tornadoes ) which need people to build them, etc. etc. etc.

Take a look at what they say.

Homebuilders Struggling to Find Workers - Yahoo! Finance
Yahoo runs shill stories like this all the time. Homebuilding is a dead industry in a couple of years. How many people can afford a $750,000 house? $200,000? $40,000? This little runup in homebuilding is a drop in the bucket compared to the housing meltdown of a couple years ago. Any industry/company that gets the majority of its income from suburban division building is DOA within a decade. The only reason housing prices are so high is because people buy them as investments. They can't fool me, I know that the vast majority of home buyers want to flip their house. Buy it for $250,000 in 2013 and hope like hell that you can sell it for $1,200,000 or some wierd number in 2043 or so. Most houses aren't even worth five digit figures, LOL. And those immigrants that will work for trash wages now won't in the future when they find out what the previous guy made, LOL.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Anyone who is working for less than $20/hr is crazy. Since when is picking cotton in the fields "good work ethic?" Big Business has brainwashed the people into working more and more for less and less. Why anyone will work at McDonalds for peanuts to make someone else rich is beyond me. All the working poor have to do is organize a mass labor strike and its game over for the greedy corporations.

Like the unemployed 18,000 ex Hostess employees.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I'm not qualified enough to get a $20+ hour job. Until I can afford to get a second degree or something, I have to work for peanuts.
Case in point. Stop thinking you're a slave and that don't deserve a living wage.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Like the unemployed 18,000 ex Hostess employees.
That was small scale. It would have to be a national strike of millions that would shut the economy down.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Case in point. Stop thinking you're a slave and that don't deserve a living wage.
A living wage for me is about $12 an hour if I worked short hour (1000 hours in a calendar year before you're either laid off or taken off a schedule.)

Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
That was small scale. It would have to be a national strike of millions that would shut the economy down.
A large chunk would remain permanently unemployed. RFID would replace cashier jobs, robots would be used (as they are in the middle east) to clean hotel rooms.

It would simply be mass economic suicide by the ex-employees.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM

Unemployment will evolve into a form of population control.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
A large chunk would remain permanently unemployed. RFID would replace cashier jobs, robots would be used (as they are in the middle east) to clean hotel rooms.

Oh yes, the hotel cleaning robots again

You've been educated on this subject numerous times already, yet you still bring it up

There are many jobs that could be replaced by automation or robots today. For the same reason that we aren't driving flying cars today (the efficient allocation of resources) these jobs remain. It would be foolish to buy or finance a $150,000 robot to replace a minimum wage worker. And you've mentioned that cheap robots are available, yet you have no idea what the difference is between a 60K hobby robot and a professional/industrial grade robot which doesn't come with all the headaches. More often than not, robot manufacturers tend to sell their products at a significant mark up to account for the savings the buyer should expect to see.

And when you can work out the logistics of how a robot will perform complex tasks like cleaning a room, you will make plenty of money. Till than, you're just a guy in front of a computer antagonizing fellow worker bees.

Would it hurt your pride if a large number of those Hostess workers found meaningful employment? I know it hurts not to be able to point your finger and laugh at union laborers and all...

Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:

You better hope that the unemployment rate doesn't rise and/or remain over 30%, as that would probably spark a communist revolution, which would of course provide jobs for everyone at the expense of the upper classes (this came very close to happening in the US back in the 1930's). I'm sure the elite over in Europe are getting mightly nervous at Spain's 27% UE rate, as if it goes much higher, woe to them...lol. Already, we're seeing a town that's gladly gone communist in order to survive the crushing economic depression - we'll see what happens if and when the national UE rate over there exceeds the critical 30% mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search