Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
a lot of employers check the references of the top few candidates.

it may have been a bad reference (it's a good idea to try to find out what your references are saying about you to prevent this), but maybe your were good, or the other candidate had fantastic references. or you both had your pros and cons and they just decided to go with you.

they also may have made the decision earlier in the week but waited to see if their first choice accepted before they rejected you.

you should feel good about the fact that your references were checked. that means you were a top contender.

I wouldn't feel that way because I would be wondering did one of them say something to kill my chances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If a interviewer told me "EITHER WAY" i would know instantly I wasn't getting the job
employers don't take the time and effort to check the references of candidates they're not interested in.

by the way, i had an interview friday before last and they told me that they were interviewing other people and that i'd hear back either way about whether i made it to the next step (some sample work). two things that you say are the kiss of death.

i made it to the next step last wednesday. we'll see where it goes, but obviously at the time that they said those things they were still interested in me. it's almost as if they were just telling me true things so i understood their timeline and weren't speaking in secret code!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't feel that way because I would be wondering did one of them say something to kill my chances
you can ask your references what they are saying about you, and stop using them if they're saying anything negative.

but that's not the only possible reason that the OP was rejected. it may have had nothing to do with references.

in any case, the fact that the employer thought enough of them as a candidate to do the reference check means they are doing something right.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
employers don't take the time and effort to check the references of candidates they're not interested in.

by the way, i had an interview friday before last and they told me that they were interviewing other people and that i'd hear back either way about whether i made it to the next step (some sample work). two things that you say are the kiss of death.

i made it to the next step last wednesday. we'll see where it goes, but obviously at the time that they said those things they were still interested in me. it's almost as if they were just telling me true things so i understood their timeline and weren't speaking in secret code!

I was referring to the FINAL STEP. Why would they say EITHER WAY or OTHER CANDIDATES and there is still a step left in the interview process??

Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
you can ask your references what they are saying about you, and stop using them if they're saying anything negative.

but that's not the only possible reason that the OP was rejected. it may have had nothing to do with references.

in any case, the fact that the employer thought enough of them as a candidate to do the reference check means they are doing something right.

It may not be the reason but I would still think it's the reason.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the FINAL STEP. Why would they say EITHER WAY or OTHER CANDIDATES and there is still a step left in the interview process??
i don't understand your point. you've said before that any mention of other candidates means that they don't really want you. they mentioned other candidates because they were explaining their timeline, and letting me know that they had more interviews that week and therefore would be deciding who to continue with at the end of the week. and they said either way because, i guess, it was true. if i didn't make it to the next step, they would have let me know that.

and you should know what your references are going to say. then you will know whether or not your references are the reason you didn't get a job (and change your references if that's the case). that way you can know it was NOT your references that were the problem.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
i don't understand your point. you've said before that any mention of other candidates means that they don't really want you. they mentioned other candidates because they were explaining their timeline, and letting me know that they had more interviews that week and therefore would be deciding who to continue with at the end of the week. and they said either way because, i guess, it was true. if i didn't make it to the next step, they would have let me know that.

and you should know what your references are going to say. then you will know whether or not your references are the reason you didn't get a job (and change your references if that's the case). that way you can know it was NOT your references that were the problem.

I agree with you on the reference factor, there is no way in hell I would have used the same people If I was not hired for the job I have now. I definitely would have chosen some other people.

Again I am saying after the last step of the interview process if someone hears either way or other candidates then they are not good signs

Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM

i think if in the final step they say you are among the top 2 or 3 (which obviously means there are other candidates in the running), that's not necessarily a bad sign. and neither is "either way". they're both pretty neutral. many employers are really not thinking that hard about this stuff and trying to assign these inflexible meanings to every choice of words is just silly.

if they say they're interviewing a new set of candidates when you're late in the process, THAT's a pretty bad sign! but that's different.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,424 times
I am actually going through the same situation. I had a great interview and they emailed me the same day requesting references. It will be one week tomorrow since the interview & they said they would get back to me shortly. I don't understand how anyone could give a bad reference-- that is bad karma on their end. Believe me. I don't know what is going on and I will follow up today just to show interest. I would rather they just accept or reject me...The funny thing is that they are wasting time and it makes me question whether I want to work for a company that does not respect time.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

for the record, i got this job! i was the frontrunner all along. despite the "either way" and "other candidates" KISSES OF DEATH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search