Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Received a 'Rejection Letter' After an Interview?
Yes 26 86.67%
No 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times

Advertisements

I would rather just know something at all. Employers just say empty words these days when they say "We will let you know" or "We will be in touch". Forked tongues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I can only imagine how upset people were in the 70s when they were being rejected by phone calls rather than US Postal Mail.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I've never gotten a phone call.
I'm either left hanging, or I get an email.
I usually get an auto-generated, generic email.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
I would rather just know something at all. Employers just say empty words these days when they say "We will let you know" or "We will be in touch". Forked tongues
I think that line is what got me so frazzled when I got the letter... I was specifically told "I will call you". I took that as "I will call you to let you know either way" when in reality it probably meant "I will call you if you get the job".

I can always tell when I didn't get the job (aside from how the interview went) by the length of time that passes from the initial interview date. Now I'm just automatically figuring the "No" is in the snail mail.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I think that line is what got me so frazzled when I got the letter... I was specifically told "I will call you". I took that as "I will call you to let you know either way" when in reality it probably meant "I will call you if you get the job".

I can always tell when I didn't get the job (aside from how the interview went) by the length of time that passes from the initial interview date. Now I'm just automatically figuring the "No" is in the snail mail.
that is cruddy that they said they'd call and then sent a letter.

but seriously, you are lucky you're getting rejections at all. a lot of employers don't even do that, even when you interview. it's inexcusably rude, disrespectful, and inconsiderate, but there's nothing that can really be done about it.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Many people on this forum have posted they would rather get a letter than a phone call. They are not comfortable getting bad news in person. They also complain that calling gets the person's hopes up.
^^^ Yes!

Its common to just get a rejection letter but sometimes you are lucky to even get that. Sometimes you never hear back ever in life.

And I've gotten one rejection phone call and that was really uncomfortable. You get your hopes up, cause they are calling and then to be don't nope, not you, awkward! An email would suffice.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
but seriously, you are lucky you're getting rejections at all. a lot of employers don't even do that, even when you interview. it's inexcusably rude, disrespectful, and inconsiderate, but there's nothing that can really be done about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
^^^ Yes!

Its common to just get a rejection letter but sometimes you are lucky to even get that. Sometimes you never hear back ever in life.
I agree- that would be a lot worse. I'd rather know then not hear anything at all.
I don't see how not contacting a person at all is even remotely professional.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Most times you don't get anything and when you call back to inquire they say "Sorry, that position has been filled." The letter is their way of documenting it and also avoiding any unpleasantness. If they call you are going to start asking questions about why you weren't selected, etc, and it can get ugly sometimes.

Don

Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Having received plenty of non-notifications and email rejections (both computer-generated and personal) after being rejected for a job, I can't imagine taking offense at receiving a letter, nor can I imagine being notified with a call.

It's an employer's market nowadays. Many employers just change the candidate's status on a web site and leave it to the candidate to log in and get the update.

It's not personal, it's just business.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Hello there.

I recently have been applying for jobs in the teaching field and unfortunately have been turned down for several job offers. From my experience, I thought that employers called you to tell you the results; however today I got a 'Rejection Letter' and I'm somewhat surprised at how tacky it is.

Is it just me?

IMO, I'm trying for a professional, full-time, long-term position and the best a company can do is leave me hanging for over a week and then send me a letter? Is this that common? I know I'm upset because I didn't get the job, but it just seems rather lazy and tacky.

Has this happened to you? Is this common?
Your name suits you.

There are threads on this forum by posters who have gone on 3 interviews for the same position and than don't even hear back.

One on here right now by someone who traveled long distance for an interview and had to contact the HR woman to be told "no you didn't get the job". Had they not followed up they weren't going to be told they didn't get the job.

How would you have liked to have to get on a plane to get to a job interview and than never hear back?

Be thankful you are at least getting a status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search