Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

To me it looks DUMB to take out a notepad on the 1st interview since it's all about connecting with the interviewer's personality

Now if you want to do that after you have connected with the interviewer on thre 2nd interview then that's fine. But to meet someone for the first time and take out a notepad looks very strange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
how is a notepad going to stop you from "connecting to the interviewer's personality"?

it's not like you're taking minutes, you might jot down 2 or 3 things in the course of an interview.

the interviewer generally also has a notepad, does that mean they're not connecting with your personality?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
how is a notepad going to stop you from "connecting to the interviewer's personality"?

it's not like you're taking minutes, you might jot down 2 or 3 things in the course of an interview.

the interviewer generally also has a notepad, does that mean they're not connecting with your personality?

Because you are not making eye contact with the interviewer

Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Because you are not making eye contact with the interviewer
There's no need to make constant eye contact with the interviewer. I would find that pretty creepy. Nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to jot down a few items, as groar suggests.

It may seem "dumb" to you, but don't extrapolate your own personal experiences and form it into some general guideline everyone should follow. Note taking during interviews for a lowskill entry-level job may not be necessary. However, the further you progress in your career, the more intense the interviews will likely be. There may be very specific job-related details mentioned during the interview and it's more professional to take a second and write these down as opposed to contacting them later and be like "oh duh, i forgot what you said before, plz tell me again".

Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You should have a notepad at an interview. It shows you are paying attention and taking it seriously.
Is this your opinion?
Or do you have credibility on the subject?

Lately, I haven't had a notepad with me for interviews. I'm not certain how hiring managers and interviewers feel about this.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
There's no need to make constant eye contact with the interviewer. I would find that pretty creepy. Nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to jot down a few items, as groar suggests.

It may seem "dumb" to you, but don't extrapolate your own personal experiences and form it into some general guideline everyone should follow. Note taking during interviews for a lowskill entry-level job may not be necessary. However, the further you progress in your career, the more intense the interviews will likely be. There may be very specific job-related details mentioned during the interview and it's more professional to take a second and write these down as opposed to contacting them later and be like "oh duh, i forgot what you said before, plz tell me again".

So it's dumb to make eye contact with someone who is interviewing you? LOL

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So it's dumb to make eye contact with someone who is interviewing you? LOL
reread the post

Quote:

Sometimes I really wonder if you're being obtuse on purpose...

Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I always bring a portfolio with me that has a notebook in it. That is where I keep copies of my resume, important company information and a list of questions.

To be honest I don't usually take notes during the interview, but I have it as a possibility. I will certainly write down notes after the interview. As much as I can think of. Or even between interviews if I am meeting with multiple people and I am sitting in a room waiting.

Do this. This is not even optional. I would suggest you bring a nice portfolio.

Personally I also have nice personal business cards for professional use. I printed a nice professional motto on the card. I would hand my card to the interviewer and purposely point out the motto as a demonstration of what I believe I should do in my profession. It always makes a good impression and serves as a nice icebreaker.

You should take quick notes on important things. If there's a second interview, you can bring a few up just to demonstrate that you paid attention.

You should also bring a list of questions. Not stuff like "Do you offer 9/80?" Questions about your job:
- What's your exception for this role?
- What's your management style?
- How do you like working for this company?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Is this your opinion?
Or do you have credibility on the subject?

Lately, I haven't had a notepad with me for interviews. I'm not certain how hiring managers and interviewers feel about this.
I am a long time hiring manager. I tell you, it's a big deal!

If you come in empty handed, I would think you are unprepared and don't care. Usually my interview would confirm that.

See Post #28.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-03-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
FBJ

Quote:
reread the post

Sometimes I really wonder if you're being obtuse on purpose...

I believe I was clear when I said there is no need to take out a notepad..............THE FIRST TIME YOU MEET SOMEONE

Second interview is fine for note taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search