Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,861,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No I used my unemployment check to find a better job that was more stable and achieve that.
In an overly leisurely manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
In an overly leisurely manner.

Well job postings are slow in the summer so I didn't become agressive until Labor day. I can show a copy of my job search journal to prove it

Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Well job postings are slow in the summer so I didn't become agressive until Labor day. I can show a copy of my job search journal to prove it
apparently aggressive = 10/month

Quote:
I didn't apply to 17 jobs in a month LOL More like 5-10

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
apparently aggressive = 10/month

Any job that is posted has to meet these requirements for me to apply

Acceptable Location
Acceptable Salary
Acceptable Duties

And You don't see jobs posted every week that meets all those requirements

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
have you ever heard of compromise? if you're holding out for a very narrow definition of a perfect job, of course you're going to have a hard time finding ones to apply to.

also i got both my current job and my new one in the summer. i didn't notice a significant drop in jobs i wanted to apply for this summer, except at universities. actually the job before this one hired me in august too, although that was just getting hired permanently after my temp agency's contract was up.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
have you ever heard of compromise? if you're holding out for a very narrow definition of a perfect job, of course you're going to have a hard time finding ones to apply to.

also i got both my current job and my new one in the summer. i didn't notice a significant drop in jobs i wanted to apply for this summer, except at universities. actually the job before this one hired me in august too, although that was just getting hired permanently after my temp agency's contract was up.

I have never be able to be flexible when it comes to salary, location, and duties. Those are the three main factors that determine if you will accept a job or not so it would be hard to comprise for anyone of those three categories.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

*le sigh*

Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM

265 posts, read 409,752 times
The shotgun approach works well if you're looking for non-career jobs outside your field. I know that from first hand experience. On the other hand, I always use to research and write cover letters when looking for jobs in my field. I figure that was the minimum you had to do when seriously applying to something you'd like to start your career in. There's more I'd do in certain instances as well. In any case, I got no results in landing something in my field so it's mute. I'm quite embittered about all that time amounting to nothing. I feel like I could have be doing something worthwhile during those hundreds- to thousands of hours over the years spent searching/networking/researching/etc.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 AM

501 posts, read 801,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
This is what I do.

1. Go to a job engine (Indeed, JobAware, etc.)
2. Search for jobs in a 50 mile radius of location, sort by date.
3. Open every one in a new tab.
4. Close tabs where qualifications and responsibilities don't match me.
5. Read application instructions (email resume, apply online, company site.)
6. Research the company and position via as many resources as I have.
7. Create a Email written/PDF/.docx cover letter depending on instructions.
8. Fill out application tailored to highlight qualifications and responsibilities.
9. Submit cover letter/resume/application per company instructions.
10. Repeat for every open tab remaining.

Each day I'll check openings for towns in a 50 mile radius (~1 hour commute) for 4 locations in the event I manage to secure employment in a new town that I can easily relocate to (friends/family in area, etc.) If you spend 1 hour on each application and apply to jobs from 8AM to 10PM for a week, that's 98 in a week. If you include a few "easy" applications (i.e. retail, food service) that brings the number up higher since those applications generally don't take an hour each to fill out. Additionally, I'll take a look at places like CD, resume sites, manager/HR advice columns and try out various things to see how the responses go.

I try to be a bit more focused on my search and do 3-5 average a day, but that's because I spend probably too much time researching the position and company so I'm more prepared for an interview than the interviewer. I'm getting up to 300 applications being 3 months in, but eventually something will bite.
Um, you haven't been through the application process for Family Dollar/Dollar General yet, that assessment is something to be desired just to stock pop rocks.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Um, you haven't been through the application process for Family Dollar/Dollar General yet, that assessment is something to be desired just to stock pop rocks.

And that's exactly why the Family Dollar gets robbed because they make it hard for people to get jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search