Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 01:40 PM

81 posts, read 70,053 times

Advertisements

Whenever certain companies have a job opening that has a couple of keywords on the job description that are on my resume, I will get 15-30 or more calls, emails, and text messages from many different recruiting companies. The recruiter inevitably has a heavy accent. Sometimes I will get contacted by two or three recruiters from the same recruiting company. While there may be a few words that match, it is almost always obvious the job is not a match.

Can someone explain what is going on here? Are large, reputable companies actually asking 10-20 companies to fill these jobs? Some days my phone will not stop ringing and every time it is a different recruiter for the same job.

So who is the bad guy here? Are these companies actually using 10-20 recruiting companies or is something else going on? Any insight would be appreciated. This ends up being abusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 03:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Unfortunately the proliferation of AI in job recruiting Apps are causing this. One of them advertises on the radio that 90% of all jobs posted result in a qualified candidate within 24 hours. Besides Indeed, Ziprecruiter and Glassdoor, there are many other sites that scan the internet to try and find people to get the placement, so people like you get what is much like spam. When I have an opening we post it only on our own external internet site, LinkedIn and optionally 1-2 others selected by the hiring manager. If I google that job a few days later it appears on 15-20 different sites.

You only need to apply once, but if you can find out the company and they have a job listing on their site, go there to apply and avoid these middle people.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unfortunately the proliferation of AI in job recruiting Apps are causing this. One of them advertises on the radio that 90% of all jobs posted result in a qualified candidate within 24 hours. Besides Indeed, Ziprecruiter and Glassdoor, there are many other sites that scan the internet to try and find people to get the placement, so people like you get what is much like spam. When I have an opening we post it only on our own external internet site, LinkedIn and optionally 1-2 others selected by the hiring manager. If I google that job a few days later it appears on 15-20 different sites.

You only need to apply once, but if you can find out the company and they have a job listing on their site, go there to apply and avoid these middle people.
I do not think that is the answer. This has been going on for decades. I feel like companies are posting jobs somewhere and letting any recruiting company fill it. It is like an auction. Then all of these recruiting companies go to the same sites like Monster and find the same people. This started long before AI. I think it is more related to call centers in India.

The calls are not coming from the actual employer. That is what would happen with sites like Ziprecruiter and Indeed recommending candidates to the actual employer.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Even if I know the company, I will be less likely to apply directly on the website in this day and age. In the past I did that plenty of times, and have communicated with companies and their HR, etc., ... even on isolated occasions getting contacted by internal technical personnel within the company. While the HR person is employed by the company, and some may think it eliminates the middle man and makes it more of a bargain for the company to hire, ... Oftentimes I don't feel that is the case. HR is already getting a paycheck, and has very little incentive to put in more effort to help present and communicate your candidacy to the hiring personnel. Other the other hand, the recruiter gets absolutely nothing if they don't place a candidate, ... and will probably get something like maybe 25-30% or so of the candidate's salary if the candidate is contracting through them. So, if they have presented other candidates, they will likely hear feedback about why XYZ candidate was not liked, ... They may also be able to give other *hints* to help candidates know more about the opportunity and possibly better present themselves.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:04 PM

1,918 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
So who is the bad guy here? Are these companies actually using 10-20 recruiting companies or is something else going on? Any insight would be appreciated. This ends up being abusive.

Why does anyone have to be a bad buy? The position is sent out and recruiters try to line you up to get their commission. There is nothing nefarious about it.

If you're interested in the job, go to the actual company site and apply. Otherwise, report the emails as spam and move on.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Why does anyone have to be a bad buy? The position is sent out and recruiters try to line you up to get their commission. There is nothing nefarious about it.

If you're interested in the job, go to the actual company site and apply. Otherwise, report the emails as spam and move on.
What is "nefarious" about this is I get as many as 30 calls emails and text messages about the same job and 90% the time the job is not even close to being a match for my background. These calls text messages, and emails are coming from a call center not a recruiter. Someone does a query for a couple of keywords and the bulk contacts all the people that come up in that query. In many cases it is obvious that the query generates the emails and text messages without anyone even reviewing the profile of the people they are contacting. There are days my phone rings all day long. They are using the same tactics as robocalls. Some times I will get contacted by two or three "recruiters" at the same company. This is not recruiting, it is just another source of robocalls and it is abuse.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:07 AM

1,918 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
What is "nefarious" about this is I get as many as 30 calls emails and text messages about the same job and 90% the time the job is not even close to being a match for my background...This is not recruiting, it is just another source of robocalls and it is abuse.

Then either use your blocking capability or take down your online information and stop using sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Monster, CareerBuilder, GlassDoor, etc. Every one of us with a career that lists their skills online deals with this and somehow we manage.

Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Earlier this week two large companies in my area gave jobs to these people. I received about 30 phone calls place many text messages. Several of the phone calls came from different recruiters from the same recruiting company. Maybe you do not consider this abusive but it is abusive to me. In facts, this is worse than robo calls.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Then either use your blocking capability or take down your online information and stop using sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Monster, CareerBuilder, GlassDoor, etc. Every one of us with a career that lists their skills online deals with this and somehow we manage.
Why should I stop using the top sites? The problem is something about this process is not reputable. Running a query for "payroll" then calling everyone in the query is spam not recruiting. Maybe you do not get all these calls but my background is so varied, I come up in all these queries. It is obvious these recruiters are not looking at the profile, they are just running queries and calling, emailing, and texting everyone. That is not recruiting, that is spam.

There is no way to block this. Many of the calls are coming from offshore. Every phone number is different. When this abuse happens, the caller/sender always has an Indian name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search