Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,250,669 times

Advertisements

Are people outside construction really lifting 75 lbs without assistance these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,220,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Yet.

It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Wrong again, the place shutdown due to no funding. Never been fired from anything

Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,416,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Wrong again, the place shutdown due to no funding. Never been fired from anything
That you fail to see the irony in this is amazing.

Pretty easy to cut funding to a service that provides no value. Pretty easy to see that the service provides no value when behaviors and theories like yours are tolerated.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
That you fail to see the irony in this is amazing.

Pretty easy to cut funding to a service that provides no value. Pretty easy to see that the service provides no value when behaviors and theories like yours are tolerated.

No a Republican was elected in 2011 who slashed everything in non-profit but I was able to recover and get a local government job doing the same thing and making more money and less stress

I feel good.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,850,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Add "case interviews," or at least be on the lookout for "interactive session." They give you or a team of candidates cases to solve or exercises to do, and they observe you while you work at it. There will be a HR rep (one or more) and other people who will observe. I just went to an all-day interactive, carrying extra resumes and expecting to actually be interviewed, but no. The entire day consisted of them splitting and recombining the candidates into teams and working on 4 cases. I probably didn't test well because I kept wondering when do we quit this repetitive nonsense (all of us older workers have worked via teams since the '90s if not '80s, lol) and discuss actual skills and knowledge on my resume vs. the real requirements of the job, but that never even came up. It really p___d me off, because I have loads of experience and skills already, but I learned at the interactive that the younger candidates had already gotten 1st interviews. I hate employers who waste the mature candidates' time.
More regarding these group interview things: I discussed this group interactive session / group case interview thing with a few savvy career placement people, and they gave their thoughts:

Having it on a Saturday might be intentional because there's a reorganization coming, and Saturday is chosen so that current employees will not see what's going on. Some current employees are going to be fired or retired out, and will be replaced by new ones.

Some of the "interviewees" in the room might actually be company employes who are planted there for various reasons. The company might be looking for a specific type of candidate who will fit in and interact well with a certain difficult-personality person higher up. Or they may be looking for someone bright, but not too bright, or not smarter than they are. Or they might only be looking for a "diversity candidate", and the rest of the interviewees in the group do not have an ice cube's chance.

They are probably looking at leadership qualities, and who will push the group into action, but also can the leader(s) accept better ideas than their own. Speak up and be noticed at these types of activities. Apparently, it's appropriate to be pushy and a bit aggressive. So, if nobody is steering, get up and steer. Sometimes they are not looking so much for correct answers to the problem as for people actively demonstrating trying to find solutions.

And another key point that I read in an article about how to interview for a job: An employer will never respect you more than at the initial interview and on the day they hire you. If you don't like the way you are treated in the interview process, run. This is like dating: If you want to marry, don't waste your time on employers who just want to ____ around.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 AM

405 posts, read 826,432 times
Quote:
These employers are pretty much eliminating most older workers in a indirect way by these statements inside the job posting.

Ability to lift 75 pounds without assistance

Must be able to stand on your feet without a break for atleast 4 hours

1 to 2 years experience required for this position

Must be able to bend, lift, and reach throughout the day

Excellent computer skills required

Must have strong vision abilities

So that's their way of eliminating older workers since they know they can't come right out and say "if you are 55 and over don't apply. So this is a true case of "creative age discrmination"
You are absolutely right. But hell, I used to be a TV News Reporter and TV News has hands down the most discriminatory and blatant "code language" For hiring that you will ever see post-1965 and that allows managers and companies to discrimate based on race, gender, height, hair color, etc. as well as age.

Stuff like, "Looking for an energetic 6pm anchor to complement our well established, male veteran anchor." Basically, if you're not a young hot female with big perky boobs, then don't even bother applying. Or, "The ideal candidate will be working alongside our blonde 11pm female anchor," which basically means if you're not male and 'ethnic', don't even bother applying.

Basically, many jobs in many different fields these days have found sneaky re-worded ways to get around the anti-discrimination laws for hiring practices.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,901,001 times
Quote:
These employers are pretty much eliminating most older workers in a indirect way by these statements inside the job posting.

Ability to lift 75 pounds without assistance

Must be able to stand on your feet without a break for atleast 4 hours

1 to 2 years experience required for this position

Must be able to bend, lift, and reach throughout the day

Excellent computer

skills required

Must have strong vision abilities

So that's their way of eliminating older workers since they know they can't come right out and say "if you are 55 and over don't apply. So this is a true case of "creative age discrmination"
Are you kidding me? How is this age discrimination? Lots of people in their 50's can lift more than some overweight, out of shape younger people.

It's just to keep from wasting the time of the applicant as well as the employer. Why would you want to apply for a job if you can't meet the necessary physical requirements??

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,226,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
You are absolutely right. But hell, I used to be a TV News Reporter and TV News has hands down the most discriminatory and blatant "code language" For hiring that you will ever see post-1965 and that allows managers and companies to discrimate based on race, gender, height, hair color, etc. as well as age.

Stuff like, "Looking for an energetic 6pm anchor to complement our well established, male veteran anchor." Basically, if you're not a young hot female with big perky boobs, then don't even bother applying. Or, "The ideal candidate will be working alongside our blonde 11pm female anchor," which basically means if you're not male and 'ethnic', don't even bother applying.

Basically, many jobs in many different fields these days have found sneaky re-worded ways to get around the anti-discrimination laws for hiring practices.
Ah ok, noone's claiming that any form of discrimination doesn't exist, but do you see any "sneaky re-worded" requirements in the OP?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,226,118 times
Quote:
No a Republican was elected in 2011 who slashed everything in non-profit but I was able to recover and get a local government job doing the same thing and making more money and less stress

I feel good.
And invaluable city services like yours never get the axe, right?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
And invaluable city services like yours never get the axe, right?

The agency has been in existence before I was born which is a positive for me

My mistake in the past was accepting job offers at places that were only 10 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search