Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,834,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The agency has been in existence before I was born which is a positive for me
My mistake in the past was accepting job offers at places that were only 10 years old.
Amazing logic. New Rule from the employment counselor: "If you choose to work for a company which has only been in business for 10 years, you must always bear in mind that the likelihood of your being laid off or terminated is much greater than if you work for a company which has been in existence longer than the years you have been on earth."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,136,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Amazing logic. New Rule from the employment counselor: "If you choose to work for a company which has only been in business for 10 years, you must always bear in mind that the likelihood of your being laid off or terminated is much greater than if you work for a company which has been in existence longer than the years you have been on earth."

BINGO!!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM

45,598 posts, read 60,900,071 times
I guess I'll tell my friends who lost their job a number of years ago when the railroad they worked for (founded 1913) shut down about this new "rule".

I'll also tell my other friends at the glass factory (founded 1903) since it closed two years ago.

And the ones at one of the oldest Ford dealerships in the US that closed.

Or all the guys in Baltimore at the Sparrow's Point steel plant and the GM factory that made trucks.

Or US Steel, Bucyrus-Erie, Wheeling Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard in and around Pittsburgh.

They'll be excited about how they really should have their old jobs because they worked for old companies.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I guess I'll tell my friends who lost their job a number of years ago when the railroad they worked for (founded 1913) shut down about this new "rule".

I'll also tell my other friends at the glass factory (founded 1903) since it closed two years ago.

Or all the guys in Baltimore at the Sparrow's Point steel plant and the GM factory that made trucks.

Or US Steel, Bucyrus-Erie, Wheeling Pittsburgh and Pullman Standard in and around Pittsburgh.

They'll be excited about how they really should have their old jobs because they worked for old companies.

The organization I was with when I was laid off in dec of 2011 started in January of 2010. That is what I mean

Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:

When you do, be sure to give due credit to a Job Counselor with the Human Resources Division of the City of Philadelphia. It may be worth a promotion to management.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM

45,598 posts, read 60,900,071 times
Quote:
The organization I was with when I was laid off in dec of 2011 started in January of 2010. That is what I mean
So you've extrapolated your experience to include all newer companies.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM

NBP: Move the keyboard out of the way before you damage any more keys.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Yeah I was just trying to get off UC and didn't realize how new the organization was.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,409,625 times
God forbid someone take a job to get off unemployment. I mean, they're giving up FREE money, right? You have made multiple statements to that effect - if you cannot see how that attitude would directly correlate to officials seeing no value in supporting an agency that is supposed to help reduce reliance on public assistance, then there is absolutely no point in continuing this conversation. If these attitudes are supported where you currently work, it will not be long before there is no value left and it too will close. It has happened before. It will happen again.

Listen for once - just once.

There have been MULTIPLE hiring managers, employers, etc. that have weighed in on your opinions, not a single one has ever supported your side. These are the people that make the hiring decisions that you are supposed to be facilitating for the people coming to you for assistance. Please, for the love of sanity and the good of the people of PA, listen to that advice - even if you're too stubborn and egotistical to admit it in a public forum.

You're so over-the-top naive about all of this that my only assumption is that you're just bored and trolling - nobody can possibly be as dense as you portray yourself.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I was just trying to get off UC and didn't realize how new the organization was.
I think we have a little problem here understanding the definition of "extrapolated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search