Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times

Advertisements

SEND them the corrected resume and just mention that something was missing from the previous one. It could be an honest mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 03:07 PM

13 posts, read 97,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
SEND them the corrected resume and just mention that something was missing from the previous one. It could be an honest mistake.
What would be the good timing if I do so? The interview will be 2 weeks ahead. Shall I send them now so that they could even forget about the issue on that day? Or send them right before the interview, so they might be even too busy to look at it?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post

I'm not sure how you're going to do that without it sounding like you lied. But, if you don't clear the air, they'll discover it during the background check anyway, and then you're screwed anyway. I guess I would try the "oops" line and then hope for the best (assuming you may have just screwed yourself on this one.)
Would that be a good idea to send them a corrected CV before the interview, and attaching some reference letter from the employer?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I do understand why you did but I have to be one big naysayer here. If I were in that position I'd decline the interview. I know, I know, not a popular opinion I'm sure. The problem is that you've only been employed for six years and you can pretty much bet that your employment is going to be checked. This is for a management position and you're going to be scrutinized rather more carefully than you would be if you were applying for a part-time food service handler position.

Going back now and giving them a "revised" resumé is going to look very suspicious, particularly when they see the amendment which is going to stick out like a sore thumb. Waiting for the interview to try and come up with a valid excuse won't look any better. I imagine that a job investment manager position requires attention to detail and, whichever way you try and play it, you're not going to look good.

Sorry, but that's my opinion. Don't do it again, but I'm sure you don't need that reminder!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM

If they do background check, how many years are they usually tracing back? If it is so called 5 years, then my first job fell exactly out of the range. Probably I should still take a chance by sticking to the wrong CV?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I do understand why you did but I have to be one big naysayer here. If I were in that position I'd decline the interview. I know, I know, not a popular opinion I'm sure. The problem is that you've only been employed for six years and you can pretty much bet that your employment is going to be checked. This is for a management position and you're going to be scrutinized rather more carefully than you would be if you were applying for a part-time food service handler position.

Going back now and giving them a "revised" resumé is going to look very suspicious, particularly when they see the amendment which is going to stick out like a sore thumb. Waiting for the interview to try and come up with a valid excuse won't look any better. I imagine that a job investment manager position requires attention to detail and, whichever way you try and play it, you're not going to look good.

Sorry, but that's my opinion. Don't do it again, but I'm sure you don't need that reminder!
The title is investment manager. But actually it's a medium level function.

I've already confirmed the interview. So declination won't be an option. Plus it's gonna be my dream job. Oke, maybe I won't send out the revised resume and just try my luck by playing as if it were an innocent mistake. I'll try to minimize this issue, as if it is irrelevant. I didn't exaggerate my skills and aggregate years of experience. And my 1st and 2nd employers are in the same industry and I functioned at both with comparable roles.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INGMRM View Post

I've already confirmed the interview. So declination won't be an option. Plus it's gonna be my dream job. Oke, maybe I won't send out the revised resume and just try my luck by playing as if it were an innocent mistake. I'll try to minimize this issue, as if it is irrelevant. I didn't exaggerate my skills and aggregate years of experience. And my 1st and 2nd employers are in the same industry and I functioned at both with comparable roles.
The people I know who have looked for work recently were extremely careful with their resumes. I assume most people are. These interviewers are not going to believe that something like that is an innocent mistake - or, if you do deal with someone that gullible, they will think you don't pay attention to detail.

Either way, not good. You messed up. Move on.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INGMRM View Post

ok, here's what you do,
option 1: you send it now and say please find attached my updated resume, I realized the version i sent previously did not include part of my experience and add that you are looking forward to seeing them on x date for the interview. Nothing more, nothing less, in this case if they question it, it will be prior to the interview and you won't have anything to lose

option2: the day of the interview bring fresh copies of the updated resume and distribute it to interviewers telling them that it is an updated version of your resume and if they notice the discrepancies just say it was an honest mistake.

In any case, since 2 people from your previous 2 jobs work at this company, I'd say you should come clean, if those people were not there, I'd say don't mention it, but in this case it is too much of a risk. Especially since you're saying you like the job and it is your dream job, you wouldn't want to lose it just because of a lie on your resume. Good luck

Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
if the job was an entry level job and they were expecting an entry level worker you could just say oops. half the time the interviewers would probably be okay with that if you can sell yourself despite the whole 'we disqualify for anything'. but once you get past entry level it's probably different. i'm still entry level so I can't speak to it personally. however, my mother use to work in hr before she moved up. likewise, I have an aunt who currently works in hr for a large international corporation. they'd both pass on an applicant who had to straighten their resume out after the fact.

good luck though. I hope you land it. personally, I wouldn't send in any formal correction and would just clarify in the interview in passing . i'd mention how i worked both places and basically play it off like that is exactly what i reflected on my resume. no idea if that'd be a good choice though.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 19,826 times
I would wait till you see them face to face before you say anything.
Then and only then start off by saying something along the lines of "there appears to be an incorrect statement on my resume that I wanted to clarify before we began. The dates are blank to blank and not blank to blank" THEN tell them exactly why you're qualified for the position and I don't mean "my strengths are this.." no really tell them, tell them like you were talking to a friend (in a professional manner) about how you didn't get the job because they hired someone less qualified.

I once went in for a job interview and I was more experienced then my resume portrayed. I started the interview off by telling them why they didn't just want me but how they needed me. I walked out of that place with the starting pay of a 2nd year employee in a leadership position. The key is confidence, confidence in yourself and in your experience.
So what do you have to offer to this place? Start thinking about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search