Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 PM

163 posts, read 502,721 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many jobseekers send thank you emails, letters or cards. Do you think it's necessary? Have you ever gotten a job after you sent a "thank you" email/card/letter?

I'm curious what any recruiters or hiring managers have to say about this topic? Do you think it makes a difference? Has it ever influenced you to go either way (hire or not hire) a potential candidate?

What to send: An email, a postal letter or a card?

This is a little controversial. I used to not send "thank you's" but took a workshop recently where I was told that you definitely, absolutely, positively want to thank the interviewer both by email and also again via mail.

How many people here have sent out thank you's? Inquiring minds definitely wanna know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
I'm curious how many jobseekers send thank you emails, letters or cards. Do you think it's necessary? Have you ever gotten a job after you sent a "thank you" email/card/letter?

I'm curious what any recruiters or hiring managers have to say about this topic? Do you think it makes a difference? Has it ever influenced you to go either way (hire or not hire) a potential candidate?

What to send: An email, a postal letter or a card?

This is a little controversial. I used to not send "thank you's" but took a workshop recently where I was told that you definitely, absolutely, positively want to thank the interviewer both by email and also again via mail.

How many people here have sent out thank you's? Inquiring minds definitely wanna know.
Thank you letters are optional because of the reasons below

1. I sent a thank you letter and received a response.........No Job Offer

2. I didn't send a thank you letter after the interview............Job Offer

So it's up to you if you want to send it

Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM

I don't think a thank you letter will get someone a job who wasn't a good fit to begin with but I do think that if two candidates are closely matched, the thank you letter might influence the final outcome. At least this is what I've heard...

I'm curious to see what hiring managers and recruiters have to say....

Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I don't think a thank you letter will get someone a job who wasn't a good fit to begin with but I do think that if two candidates are closely matched, the thank you letter might influence the final outcome. At least this is what I've heard...

I'm curious to see what hiring managers and recruiters have to say....

Well how do you explain me getting a job offer without writing a thank you note?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Your question is completely unrelated to my point. I was saying if two people are equally qualified, a TY letter MIGHT influence a decision. It's what I was told in a workshop (I think I stated that at the beginning).

I started this thread to get input from many people about thank you letters, not challenged as to the invalidity of TY letters/emails. Your experience, DUDE, isn't the end all be all of the jobseeker/job creator dynamic.

I welcome other jobseekers to contribute as to their experience as well as recruiters/hiring managers.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Your question is completely unrelated to my point. I was saying if two people are equally qualified, a TY letter MIGHT influence a decision. It's what I was told in a workshop (I think I stated that at the beginning).

I started this thread to get input from many people about thank you letters, not challenged as to the invalidity of TY letters/emails. Your experience, DUDE, isn't the end all be all of the jobseeker/job creator dynamic.

I welcome other jobseekers to contribute as to their experience as well as recruiters/hiring managers.

I gave you two examples and told you they are optional and explained why so not sure what you are looking for

Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 PM

156 posts, read 447,551 times
It doesn't matter if it helps. It certainly doesn't hurt to send a well worded, short e-mail thanking the interviewer for his/her time and reiterating your interest in the position.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Unless you have decided you do not want the job, make sure you thank everyone you talked with. Some say a snail mail message trumps an email, but I am not sure.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM

35 posts, read 100,717 times
Personally, I always do. I can say just recently I was offered a job and I sent a thank you after both phone interview and in-person interviews to everyone I spoke with. I also received a reply giving me my interview time from the one thank you note... all this to say, it can't hurt. It's not going to get you a job if you're not matched for it, but who knows what it looks like to hiring managers.

On another note, I'm not a hiring manager but I've been asked to weigh-in on interviews. The candidate who really stood out to myself and my colleague was someone who found my colleague's email on-line (she wasn't given a card) and sent a thank you email. She just got hired. So again, it doesn't hurt, in my opinion. I also believe in personalizing them to each discussion if you met with several people, to further show interest.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
I agree that while it's not going to completely change an interviewer's mind about you, unless you say something totally inappropriate a follow up is not going to hurt. And it could help if things are close. I always send one unless I decide I don't want the job.

I did send a thank you after each stage of the interview process for the job I ended up getting. For the two group interviews i had for that job, i sent individual emails to each interviewer for one when i had individual things to say; the other time i didn't feel the need to do that and just sent one to all 3.

When my boss sent out an email introducing me to the staff, she quoted from one of my thank you notes (and my cover letter), so I think they did make an impression.

It's important to say something of substance in the message besides "thanks" - you should follow up or expand on something based on what you learned in the interview.

I send emails because the decision making process can move too fast for regular mail. I'd choose one either way - sending both seems like overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search