Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM

89 posts, read 206,272 times

Advertisements

I think Gmail is the most popular of the freeweb services out there. It has better spam filters and is less likely to be successfully targeted by hackers as well.

Yahoo and Hotmail are fine too, but they scream "teenager" or "old internet" because neither is as powerful/dominant now as they were 10-15 years ago.

Just make sure your userid is professional sounding and only references your name, initials, or profession (j.smith @ gmail.com, smith.marketing @ hotmail.com, js.medical @ yahoo.com). Save the more colorful addresses for your friends or your internet trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
A hotmail.com domain is now "unprofessional"?!

Not counting the "captains of industry" who contribute to this website from their executive chairs in mom's basement, is there anyone out there who actually employs real people at a real company, who would seriously look at a resume or CV, and say to themselves, "I believe this person's choice of email providers is... unprofessional... therefore I shall not hire this person."?

I have, honestly, seen resumes where someone uses an email address like "torpedo_jugs_69@hotmail.com", and that's obviously not going to be a selling point for most resumes, unless the person is a stripper.

Not unprofessional, OUTDATED

Old 08-19-2013, 12:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,566 times
umm how is it outdated again? it's just email. you can use any email to register for youtube/google/samsung/etc

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
umm how is it outdated again? it's just email. you can use any email to register for youtube/google/samsung/etc

Because It's connected to WebTV which is also outdated and ending in Sept of 2013.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Because It's connected to WebTV which is also outdated and ending in Sept of 2013.
I have no idea what WebTV is (maybe i do). I do have the latest LG Google TV and I got it and my other devices all registered with google using my hotmail and wife's yahoo.jp accounts. whats so cool with other email accounts?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I have no idea what WebTV is (maybe i do). I do have the latest LG Google TV and I got it and my other devices all registered with google using my hotmail and wife's yahoo.jp accounts. whats so cool with other email accounts?

Hotmail doesn't have IMAP and Apple Mac support while others like yahoo and gmail have that support

Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I cannot even believe this is a topic; no one in their right mind will think of anything about your email address whether it is yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

If someone actually did think something about it, I guarantee you will not want to work at that place.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Hotmail doesn't have IMAP and Apple Mac support while others like yahoo and gmail have that support
so what is IMAP then? whats wrong with POP for the general public
btw if you google 'hotmail imap' you'll see people made it work

Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
In healthcare, many companies' internal networks block access to yahoo e-mail, Hotmail, and g-mail, due to the security problems and constant spamming. When new pieces were added to HIPAA under the HITECH Act many healthcare companies strengthened network security and this included blocks to these spam-ridden easily hacked e-mail sites.

So you may be giving HR reps an e-mail address that they can't use, and they may skip over you and just go to the next resume in the pile.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In healthcare, many companies' internal networks block access to yahoo e-mail, Hotmail, and g-mail, due to the security problems and constant spamming. When new pieces were added to HIPAA under the HITECH Act many healthcare companies strengthened network security and this included blocks to these spam-ridden easily hacked e-mail sites.

So you may be giving HR reps an e-mail address that they can't use, and they may skip over you and just go to the next resume in the pile.
If a company is too stupid to remove a block to a specific workstation for a specific job related tasks, then a person most likely will not want to work in such an environment anyway.

If a company has a block, too stupid to remove access for a specific workstation, and the HR person is too stupid to call the phone number on the resume due to the HR person knowing the company is too stupid to lift a block for HR's work purpose, then a person most likely will not want to work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search