Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:06 AM

18 posts, read 38,473 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree. I recently applied and interviewed for a "desk clerk" position at a medical office, figuring it was a job that I could take for now and, hopefully, live on. The interview seemed to go well. She was passionate about the company, but also disorganized (she lost my résumé in a mound of paper on her desk). She was a little vague on how I would be trained other than getting help from the people around me. She said there were multiple positions open, briefly described them, but didnt ask if i preferred one over the other. She asked what my pay was at my current job and - this was probably my mistake- I told her the truth, $12/hour. A few hours later, I received an email from her. She offered me a position in "patient and provider support" which appears to be, based on her description, a fancy name for customer service (not what I was intending for) at $12/hour. My concern, primarily, is this pay rate. I simply can't afford my cost of living on $12/hour with my student loans coming, even with another part time job. I responded to her email, expressed my interest in her company, and asked if there was room for negotiation here, as I would require two dollars more an hour to make ends meet and would gladly take on extra responsibilities in the office. She responded with a simple "no." I asked when opportunities for review were, and she said "it varies and depends on the employee." In short, the job supposedly offers three weeks vacation, a $1500 stipend towards health insurance, and an IRA plan. But I'm being rubbed the wrong way.

With my concern being able to survive, do I take this position in the hopes that ill find something else (my current job is temporary and ends in two weeks) or pass up on it? It's the only offer I've received out of 60+ applications but I'm very much concerned about being able to afford my bills...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
So how would ypou afford your bills if you don't have a job?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
So how would ypou afford your bills if you don't have a job?
Exactly. I'm guessing it would be much easier on $12 an hour than on $0 an hour.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xacrosstime View Post
With my concern being able to survive, do I take this position in the hopes that ill find something else (my current job is temporary and ends in two weeks) or pass up on it? It's the only offer I've received out of 60+ applications but I'm very much concerned about being able to afford my bills...
I agree with the previous posters and would suggest that, if you decide to take this position, you adjust your budget accordingly. When you start looking carefully at what you spend money on you'll find (as do most) that a lot of what you spend is frittered away on totally unnecessary things. You can get some very helpful ideas in the "frugal living" forum!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 AM

402 posts, read 745,963 times
1) Income is better than no income
2) No employment gap is better than employment gap
3) New environment to meet new people and faces (read potential network) that may lead you to a better gig is better than no networking and getting that lead at home from behind your computer.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 AM

23 posts, read 84,950 times
Default Tricky..

That's a tricky one... you don't want to be stuck without a job but you don't want to take a job that doesn't even permit you to make ends meet... I would probably take the job and keep searching full force.,, I guess that's the best you can do for now

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Wow not even a 10% increase. Never give your real salary. Take it and keep looking.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You will be unemployed in two weeks and you are being offered a job making what you are making now ... is this really a question?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,790 times
Say yes and keep looking non stop

Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
It's MUCH easier to find a job when you already have a job. Chalk this one up to a life lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search