Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM

507 posts, read 917,774 times

Advertisements

I was terrified when I started my search, especially when my initial early efforts hit brick walls. I wasn't targeting the right positions, I wasn't marketing myself properly, and I wasn't leveraging my existing professional network. When I cleared those items up, I had several great offers to choose from. So, you'll have a very shaky hand at first, and you might even totally blow your first couple interviews, but you'll be fine once you hit your stride. I actually recommend applying for a few "not really..." jobs for interview practice before you set your sights on your dream position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I survived.

We'll see how it goes. I connected really well with one person. Not so well with the top of the food chain. Pretty well with the boss. They asked all kinds of tricky questions. Hopefully I gave them good answers! The job is in line with most of my experience in the past 3 jobs, just putting it together a little differently.

I have a few more interviews in the pipeline. All of them are good opportunities in line with what I want. One sounds awesome but may not pay enough.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM

507 posts, read 917,774 times
Even a job that doesn't pay the most may be rewarding or advance your career

Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM

I thought I'd update!

Things are going surprisingly well. I've got one offer. Salary is decent (a bit more than I get today, but their are stock options), environment seems excellent, good upside. And I eliminate my big beef with my current role. The downside is I'd have to actually drive for my commute. It'll work out to be about 90 minutes daily, a little longer than my last driving commute. But I have been taking this route 1-3x a week for the past few months, and am pretty aware of the gotchas. Hopefully I can work out leaving at an off time and cut it down to 30-35 minutes each way. Office location is convenient in terms of lunch spots, the gym, and errands are all in walking distance of a few blocks. No artisan coffee though. :P

I am scheduling a final round with another company, another great opportunity. Who knows, maybe I'll get an offer there too! This one would have a transit only commute, but I'd need to transfer. So it would work out to be about 45-50 minutes each way. And the transfer is a little far to walk between (1.5 miles). That might be a deal breaker, since I'd need to hop on the 2 buses/trains daily.

I am tempted to take the offer on the table, because it is a super exciting opportunity. But the to be scheduled interview seems promising, and has good potential too.

And I have had 2 more informational interviews via my network that are good as well. But both are less ideal than what's on the table above, either because of the commute time or office location. But it is nice to feel like there are options.

One would be an excellent opportunity, but in all honesty, I'd really need to move in order to make it work. I would kill myself making the commute daily and burn out. And, even though I have friends in that area, it doesn't offer the things that are on my hit list in terms of quality of life. And rents are 2X what I pay now, and wouldn't have the amenities I like about my current neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I'd google "do's and don'ts for job interviews" as well as what to say and not say on an interview. That might help as well

Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM

In my day job I have to think in my feet a lot. The question that gets me every time is "what do you do to relax or have fun?"

This question is so hard!

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Why would an interviewer even ask that? Do they expect someone to say "I like to work to relax" lol. Or if they hear "have a drink" then they don't hire the person because they consider them an alcoholic, etc?

My friend bombed an interview once because she was asked, when you go out for drinks, how many drinks do you usually have? And she said "2-3." She's 6'2" tall and about 190 lbs course she needs more than 1.

Then later on she was asked "how often do you go out?" And she said "twice a week." She was told she failed the interview and asked why, they said "you drink too much, you drink 3 drinks each time you go out x 2 times a week which means you have 6 drinks a week." She had to explain she probably drinks only a few times a year and doesn't drink every time she goes out. She still didn't get the job.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In my day job I have to think in my feet a lot. The question that gets me every time is "what do you do to relax or have fun?"

This question is so hard!

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Easy answer, tell them something healthy and challenging. Say you run, hike, bike, swim, do yoga, etc...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Why would an interviewer even ask that? Do they expect someone to say "I like to work to relax" lol. Or if they hear "have a drink" then they don't hire the person because they consider them an alcoholic, etc?

My friend bombed an interview once because she was asked, when you go out for drinks, how many drinks do you usually have? And she said "2-3." She's 6'2" tall and about 190 lbs course she needs more than 1.

Then later on she was asked "how often do you go out?" And she said "twice a week." She was told she failed the interview and asked why, they said "you drink too much, you drink 3 drinks each time you go out x 2 times a week which means you have 6 drinks a week." She had to explain she probably drinks only a few times a year and doesn't drink every time she goes out. She still didn't get the job.
Bizarre questions. For what job was she interviewing?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Bizarre questions. For what job was she interviewing?
Law enforcement job. Apparently her definition of "go out" was different than theirs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search