Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I already am working, I actually pulled and Old Economy Steven and went and grabbed an application within 30 minutes after I got dismissed from work (I was scheduled for the rest of the week so there was no "red flag" of me not getting scheduled) so I could take off my shirt.

I am not sure if it is a trend myself but it is weird that several companies do this where they train employees and then kick them to the curb cyclically.

I am let down in myself that whatever I did wrong happened (even though a reasonable amount was also flanked by bad training) but I must say that I am at the sametime I am annoyed by what happened.
Glad to hear you kept your chin up and moved on fast - that's key in this "new" economy.
Stability is a thing of the past; learn your lessons, but don't take it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
It's difficult to know another person's agenda. It sounds like the trainer may be in trouble, and is concerned that anyone new coming along would be a threat to her job. So, what better way to protect herself than getting rid of harder working, more pleasant people who would most likely be her replacement, probably sooner rather than later.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The cost of recruiting, interviews, training, and lost work time is not worth it just to avoid paying benefits If it were they would simply hire temps for 6 months at a time. Unless they get someone that is already skilled in the work being done, they may continue to have this problem until they get rid of the poor supervisor and find someone that can choose good employees and properly train them.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
There are a few industries that fully embraced high turnover paradigm never mind all the costs of recruiting, interviews, "training", high turnover makes them money at the end. Some of those industries don't mind you sticking around (for whatever weird reason) but not for too long, the others are proactive in getting rid of you once you're past an expiration date. Retail, warehousing & transportation, hospitality, fast food and such comes to my mind. Even some manufacturers (no names, but I do have a few data points) periodically cull most of their experienced workers. High turnover industries have people and procedures in place to deal with revolving door work force.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
At most companies, there is a 90 day probationary period. It has been said that a good indicator of an employees future performance will be evident during that time. One company I worked for had a no absence policy within that time frame - take one day off and you will be terminated.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 AM

190 posts, read 190,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As many of you know, I have been saying I had a job since the beginning of August. yesterday, I found out I was terminated with a pink slip. The notice lists "fired: inability - not qualified" as the reason with no explanation written just that I was "not picking things up" The position I got was for another person getting fired in a similar way. Hired for 40 days and released for "not picking things up." Just a month shy of benefits kicking in.

My question is, "Is this the new normal?" Companies hiring employees short-term and cutting them before benefits kick in. This happened with my brother a few years ago as well as one of my parents' friends' daughter and now myself (not with the same company.) I wonder if this is a current trend or if I am just making an excuse based on "personal experience."
no
this is the way they save money they dont know it but their violating the labor laws

Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 AM

190 posts, read 190,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5ply10 View Post
no
this is the way they save money they dont know it but their violating the labor laws
you could always ask for a contract

Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5ply10 View Post
no
Just wondering, how are their actions breaking the law?

As for the probationary period at my job, it was within 40 days for part-time, I only worked 36 and I was part-time. The worst part was that I was scheduled for three more days of work and lost them without knowing that I would be dumped.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
It's not against the law to terminate somebody within their probationary period. Or beyond it for that matter, but that is outside the scope of the thread.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM

28 posts, read 42,909 times
That doesn't really happen at the company I work for. They invest a lot of time in trying to pick the right person in the first place, so even if you're not dynamite at your job after a few months, they'll just keep pushing you to learn the job rather than trying to start over with someone new.

However, my boyfriend did have an experience like that last year. He took a job as a gym manager, where the two previous managers had been let go after a few months because they weren't performing. He worked there for about five months before he was let go too. At first we thought there was just a problem with that location--there was another gym about a block away so it was hard to meet the quotas for new members every month. However, he's heard from other people who managed gyms in other cities experienced the same thing, so it's probably just a messed up practice within that company.

But I really think that's the exception and not the rule. Besides my boyfriend, I haven't really hard of that happening to other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search