Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,952 times

Advertisements

This is age old job hunting advice, but does anyone actually do this and would you say it's really worth the effort? I usually will write a unique cover letter per position that takes me about 20-60 minutes to do (depending on the position), but have always used one resume for all positions. I feel like the extra time it would take tailoring my qualifications/job experience on my resume for each individual job posting would be a huge time sink that might not pay off. Probably add another 30-60 minutes per position, which can add up to a lot!

Thoughts? Does anyone here write unique resumes for each position or just one general one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
I have a few I use which simply place more emphasis on different skill sets based on need, but should you have >1, it is vital to know which you sent per job, have a cover letter in sync with each, and make sure you do not post different ones on boards that may tip folks off you have more than one.

When I am open to new positions, I tend to use any secondary resumes solely in situations where they are subnitted directly to a corp or, usually, a recruiter, I am not using for other prospects. In other words, one offs.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I'm a hiring manager, and I have often rejected an applicant that appears to have not read the job requirements because they send out the same generic resume to everyone. Those that catch my attention are those tailored to the specific job requirements. I have even seen resumes list a goal or objective which is not a job we offer. It makes a big difference to see that a person really wants this job rather than just any job or is just sending out resumes to meet the unemployment requirements.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:20 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Long resume are not read right away,so only pertainaint information is all that is required.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
I have them tailored to my specific industries. So far my past experience has been in property management finance and healthcare finance. Each will play up industry-specific experience.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,032 times
Yes.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM

692 posts, read 1,005,064 times
The last time I job searched, yes. I usually took buzzwords from the ad and incorporated them onto my resume. Whenever I was hiring I typically rejected one size fits all resumes. There is a difference between someone trying to enter a field who had zero experience and someone who might, but their resume or cover letter didn't address it. I didn't mind long resumes. Someone who has been in the workforce for awhile or had multiple jobs to make ends meet may have experience that just won't fit on one page without tiny margins and crushed bug sized font.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm a hiring manager, and I have often rejected an applicant that appears to have not read the job requirements because they send out the same generic resume to everyone. Those that catch my attention are those tailored to the specific job requirements. I have even seen resumes list a goal or objective which is not a job we offer. It makes a big difference to see that a person really wants this job rather than just any job or is just sending out resumes to meet the unemployment requirements.
I would follow the hiring manager's advice.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
i look at my resume every time and make sure i'm addressing/emphasizing the skills and background that are important to that particular job. that doesn't mean writing a completely new and different resume from scratch, just tweaking what i have. i don't write cover letters from scratch either, but i customize them, sometimes extensively.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM

170 posts, read 316,579 times
Yes. I match the keywords in the resume with skills that I have, that's all to it. It works for me so far, I gotten a few interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search