Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM

13 posts, read 31,684 times

Advertisements

After graduating from college I spent two years in Southeast Asia teaching English; one year to young children and another year to students and professionals. I will be returning to the United States this coming January and will obviously want to start working as soon as possible. My dream job would be teaching history (I was a history major in college) ,but I do understand that teaching jobs, are very hard to get at this point, especially without any prior experience. This being said I am an incredibly flexible guy and would be willing to work almost any job any where in the US. My only requirement would be that I make at least $25,000- $30,000 a year.

I'm just worried because I have heard horror stories from my friends back in the United States saying they have been unable to find a job that pays them enough to move out of their parents' house. However, on the same note, many of my friends have not been willing to move out of their comfort zone (New York, Tri-State area), which I believe has limited their options a great deal. So how bad is the job market for individuals like myself who are willing to a accept almost any salary, work any job, and move anywhere in the US? I will be twenty five years old by the time I return to the US if that is any help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I know people with bach or graduate degrees and job related experience who struggled for a long time or are currently struggling to find work. There are jobs available but they may not be what you want nor will they pay what you want. You don't have in demand skills or an in demand degree, so unless you luck out you will find a job in the mid west in the 9-12 dollar an hour range. This isn't for everyone but you may want to look into manager training programs for major retail business. A degree is a plus (in some chains a degree in ANY field is required) and it will put you within or close to the range you are looking at.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
A lot depends on where you are and what kind of work you do. Teaching jobs are fairly similar in pay regardless of the state, so you are much better off in a place with low cost of living. Here in the Seattle area, for example, teachers starting out may have to live with parents, have a roommate, or commute a long way from a cheaper area. The more popular areas are more expensive so people move their and those school districts have the greatest need for more teachers. Meanwhile you should look into the educational certification requirements for the states you are considering, you may have to go back to school before you can teach.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Easy To Get fired hard to get hired so many steps required. apply online interview by phone say the right things in professional tone hope for a face to face sit around and wait said i was flexible with start date the old days are gone used to be able to walk right in get hired with ease now they have us on our knees so much bureaucracy aimless wondering job song keep the faith stay strong something good will come along. Aimless wandering job song.

Loose Cannon copywright 2011

Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,607 times
I think your prospects are good. Many people are willing to limit themselves, you don't sound like one of them. I suspect if you look into moving into an area that has an abundance of Asians new to the country and the language, you'd find a spot for the exact same work you were doing in Asia. With the added plus that you have experience with current local dialects and pop culture references which probably aid in the teaching process. Even if not a formal position, I'm willing to bet you can turn that into a part time tutor business, especially for those who work full time or odd hours and can't attend formal English classes.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 AM

752 posts, read 1,165,305 times
I like carpenter have far more job then I can handle. Problem is I have to go work.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Teaching people arent going to have as much trouble as most other professions, so you should be OK, but the rest of the world, real jobs are very hard to come by.This, combined with an attack on workers by politicians and corporatations make it the most worker unfriendly market Ive ever seen. I lived in Florida and Vermont and there was NO, NO real work for professional people. Just no pay, no-benefit service related McJobs. I looked for 3 years and couldn't get any real work. I moved to a major city in another state and found work right away, but I think that was due to luck -- right place, right time.
But, as mentioned, I think an educator wont have as many issues as most people. Good luck . . .

Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Jobs in the US vary greatly by location. Its not very complicated to figure out, places that bash business and view them as the enemy find that jobs move away and are scarce. Places that recognize business provides a necessity and regulate them reasonably have plenty of jobs. A place with manufacturing jobs will have the best economy since manufacturing products are sold out side the local area where the jobs are. So money from outside the local job area flows into the area which adds new money to the local economy. Jobs that simply trade things within the local economy do not have the same impact as these so called base jobs. Some gov understand that and are not afraid of manufacturing jobs for this reason. Houston and Dallas/FtWorth have more manufacturing jobs than other areas. Only NYC has a few more of these type jobs than DFW, Houston leads NYC in manufacturing jobs.

Your flexibility and open mind and wanting to work area great assets, move from the tri state area and not to california and you will find jobs not that difficult to find.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:45 AM

23,551 posts, read 24,057,818 times
It depends on the skills you have, your education level and your adaptability/flexibility level.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Teaching people arent going to have as much trouble as most other professions, so you should be OK, but the rest of the world, real jobs are very hard to come by.This, combined with an attack on workers by politicians and corporatations make it the most worker unfriendly market Ive ever seen. I lived in Florida and Vermont and there was NO, NO real work for professional people. Just no pay, no-benefit service related McJobs. I looked for 3 years and couldn't get any real work. I moved to a major city in another state and found work right away, but I think that was due to luck -- right place, right time.
But, as mentioned, I think an educator wont have as many issues as most people. Good luck . . .
Depends on the area, the northern front range of Colorado especially Fort Collins has no problem getting teachers, in fact I have heard you have to know someone or work as an aid to get into the school district in Fort Collins as a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search