Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatcat2000 View Post
I have reached the second level of interviews for a position I would love to have. Got a call today with a request I have NEVER heard of. The hiring authority wants to come and do the second interview at my residence.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Maybe I'm just off base and all is OK, but it seems damned peculiar to me. The weirdest thing is that it is a government position.

Thanks!
Will the hiring authority "play doctor" with you and give you a physical examination as well?

Interviewer walks in, first question, does this smell like chloroform to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,625 times
State. These are all thoughts I have had. My biggest impulse is to anonymously contact the state HR types and ask about it. The only thing I could think of was an interviewer - for whatever reason - just doing this on their own for some weird but innocent reason. But I tend to agree with most of the responses...the whole thing is just too off.

Just now looked and noticed the person wanting to do the interview called twice (msg first time, talked to him second time) and neither was from a state phone. But I did remember him from the first interview, and just to double check myself I confirmed his name, photo and and position on the web.

Well, I still don't like it. Calling the state HR tomorrow for sure...got three day before the supposed second interview to work it out...thanks to all and will update when I find something out.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Is this city, county, state or federal governement?
What is the generic position?

Overall, it is not unusual for certain entities to request a followup at your residence, if the position is such that your personal life is a qualification. So, without knowing the details of the positon and entity, who's to say it is or isn't unusual.
State - not work at home, a generic description would be non-commissioned administrative law enforcement with a huge customer service element. Sorry to be frugal with details...don't know why I am but just being careful.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
Quote:
State - not work at home, a generic description would be non-commissioned administrative law enforcement with a huge customer service element. Sorry to be frugal with details...don't know why I am but just being careful.

Probation Officer or Child Protective Services.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
You have every right to be careful especially when the number of creeps out there can be the sleazy person at the gas station all the way up to your local Priest.

Law Enforcement agency positions usually have a higher burden of investigative detail in the hiring. This is especially true for positions where public trust and personal reputation is involved. You know best if this is creepy for the position, or if it's such that you would want the department to vet the person as much as possible, including their personal/home life.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times
I'd be scared...that is really, really weird. Government or not.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I never heard of such a thing before, and would not be interested in participating.
Bad enough when a dog seller requires a home visit before they sell you a dog,
there is no legitimate reason for a potential employer to visit your house unless it's a telecommute job and they have to verify compliance with OSHA requirements for a home work station, and that should come after an offer is accepted.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
This is an extreme invasion of privacy and very unprofessional. It has been a trend lately that the hiring process has become more and more invasive and disrespectful of people's privacy but this is far over the edge. I'd contact the HR department of the potential employer for sure and possibly the police. This can be the start of something very dangerous.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Probation Officer or Child Protective Services.
No - there would be no work at home and no work away from the office location.

Thanks again for all the replies. I will continue to watch here for thoughts and will update after contacting the state.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
yes creepy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search