Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM

25 posts, read 66,822 times

Advertisements

Usually what are these like? I just graduated with a BS in MIS, but I've read samples of interview questions and they seem to focus a lot of data structures? But as a MIS graduate, I didn't have to take that..

Anyways, one of the positions that I applied for was a Junior Software Engineering position, and this is what was in the description:

QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with the full SDLC including configuration management, systems administration, testing and QA testing.
- Knowledge and experience with UI design, coding skills in HTML, javascript and jquery, SQL is a plus.
- Work experience and skill in the concepts, principles, codes, standards, techniques, and procedures in software development and maintenance.
- Experience with software utilities such text editors, compilers and debuggers.
- Ability to implement and integrate systems innovatively.
- Ability to read and interpret simple programs in C, Java, and HTML.

What sort of questions would probably be asked? The requirements doesn't seem to suggest a lot about data structures right?
Any tips would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM

23,643 posts, read 24,193,042 times
I am not a software engineer myself, but have sat in on interviews for SW engineers to interview for personality.

One question that is usually asked, is to have a software engineer write some sample code, to perform a routine. This tests coding ability, logic etc. We would usually ask them to do it on the spot and then ask them to explain why they coded the routine in a specific way.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM

322 posts, read 385,493 times
Looks like they might ask you to write come code in C (or another flavor like C++ or C#) or Java. Common interview questions that I have heard about involve sorting algorithms (bubble sort, merge sort), linked lists, pointers, and arrays. They could ask you to write a simple query in SQL. Of course I would only expect these questions during an on-site interview, but I've had some technical questions asked during a phone interview.

Maybe they will ask you questions about x86 assembly language; those are my favorite!

Hope this is helpful in your preparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search