Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times

Advertisements

Im not sure if this is a new trend or not, as I am relatively young to the workplace. But at my wife's job (State College) and at my job (Corporate world) every time someone is going to be promoted the managers are forced to post the job online and internally. They claim they "have" to do this. Whats the deal here? Even if a job is created with you in mind they have to post it. Is this all just an invention of HR or is there an actual law on the books mandating this? Its frustrating because its a tease for those looking for work, and a waste of time for all involved internally. I have buddys looking for jobs and theyve started calling the companies to check ahead of time if this is for an internal candidate. Apparently 75% of the time the company says yes there is already a candidate in mind.

Cuss words!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,175 times
Hi,

I worked for a few large corporations in the past. This is standard policy at most corporations. I worked for Citibank from 2000 - 2007. I felt the same way as it is very misleading. The HR departments are justifying their existence.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
It's a matter of company policy, not law.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,742 times
It goes on a lot. A huge percentage of job listings were filled long before the listing went up. This practice goes way back to pre-internet days, when it was done in the newspaper.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
This is similar to what I mentioned in my 'posting fake jobs' thread. I worked at a large corporation and, even if we had an internal candidate who would be getting the position, we had to advertise for 3 days. It's a very misleading practice.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Yes, they have to... supposedly... but it is still a scam. I have doubts about how often they really need to do this, and it is just cruel to string candidates along and pretend that they have a chance when the job has already been given to an internal candidate. But that's par for the course these days.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im not sure if this is a new trend or not, as I am relatively young to the workplace. But at my wife's job (State College) and at my job (Corporate world) every time someone is going to be promoted the managers are forced to post the job online and internally. They claim they "have" to do this. Whats the deal here? Even if a job is created with you in mind they have to post it. Is this all just an invention of HR or is there an actual law on the books mandating this? Its frustrating because its a tease for those looking for work, and a waste of time for all involved internally. I have buddys looking for jobs and theyve started calling the companies to check ahead of time if this is for an internal candidate. Apparently 75% of the time the company says yes there is already a candidate in mind.

Cuss words!!!
Happened to me at my last job. It was an HR policy. It sounds stupid but I think they have to do it for EEOC reasons.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It's a matter of company policy, not law.
Yes but it's a mechanism to protect against discrimination suits.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ahh. But how does this protect against discrimination? What if the applicants were minorities and they didn't interview them or hire them? Then this opens them up to lawsuits and provides evidence. You can't discriminated against someone you didn't interview. Did you make this up or how do you know?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Happened to me at my last job. It was an HR policy. It sounds stupid but I think they have to do it for EEOC reasons.
Uh, no ... not for EEOC reasons. Please cite the federal or state law that says they have to do it.

Quote:
how so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search