Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times

Advertisements

Why would you lie on your resume??? IMHO, that is a huge mistake.

I went for a job once and was truthful on my resume as well as the application they had me fill out. I ended up NOT getting the job but a few weeks later, I got something in the mail from the company they used to verify my information. Not only was there a credit report in the package but they had every one of my jobs listed (even ones I hadn't put on my resume!) They also had all my educational credentials listed (that they obviously got during their investigation because I only have my degrees listed on my resume and save the rest for the interview).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you have to lie to get the job, you probably aren't qualified to do the job. Just sayin'
Not really. The HR junk is worse than the crap at the DMV. Sometimes you have to lie to get arround the stupidity and dysfunction.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
forget fake references... what about bad references or bitter former employers who do everything in their power to destroy you chances of getting a job.

i think most people may lie by omission or exaggerate a little but very few just outright lie

Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I can't imagine why people get such ****ty employees these days. They reject a lot of good workers because their paperwork isn't quite up to par. Idiocy.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Why would you lie on your resume??? IMHO, that is a huge mistake.

I went for a job once and was truthful on my resume as well as the application they had me fill out. I ended up NOT getting the job but a few weeks later, I got something in the mail from the company they used to verify my information. Not only was there a credit report in the package but they had every one of my jobs listed (even ones I hadn't put on my resume!) They also had all my educational credentials listed (that they obviously got during their investigation because I only have my degrees listed on my resume and save the rest for the interview).
When i was young i got my first job and about a month later i got fired so when i went to look for another job i didnt list that job on my resume and just said i had no work experience.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
I have never lied on a resume, or during a job interview. I often wonder just how much of a disadvantage honest job seekers have, though.

Fortunately, I have enough years to retire if I want, so job interviews are a moot point.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

194 posts, read 300,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you have to lie to get the job, you probably aren't qualified to do the job. Just sayin'
That's why we have all this unemployment Unqualified people

Old 01-11-2014, 05:03 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Here's a novel idea. How about actually applying for jobs that you qualify for? You can answer all questions related to your resume without hesitation, because it's actually true. You will beat out the guy that's hesitates on every interview question.

I have interviewed a few candidates. We really wanted to hire them. Their resume showed the right qualifications. After they come in, they can't answer basic questions related to their experience. In some cases, they come out and admit the lies.

They would have been better off applying for jobs with their true experience. They wasted their time with these lies.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
what about bad references or bitter former employers who do everything in their power to destroy you chances of getting a job.
I was blunt with people when they asked why I left my last job, and when they asked if they could call my former supervisor. I don't want anyone talking to that moron, who probably couldn't tell you how long I worked there, what I did, or how much I earned.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the point of employers asking for supervisors from the last 3 or 4 jobs; most of them don't work there anymore.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM

194 posts, read 300,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Here's a novel idea. How about actually applying for jobs that you qualify for? You can answer all questions related to your resume without hesitation, because it's actually true. You will beat out the guy that's hesitates on every interview question.

I have interviewed a few candidates. We really wanted to hire them. Their resume showed the right qualifications. After they come in, they can't answer basic questions related to their experience. In some cases, they come out and admit the lies.

They would have been better off applying for jobs with their true experience. They wasted their time with these lies.
Why do you ass u me I don't apply for jobs I don't qualify for ? How about you lower your ridiculous standards just a bit and take a chance on a person and who knows MAYBE they will turn out to be a productive employee. After all that was the way things were done since there was an economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search