Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,323 times

Advertisements

I just interviewed with a firm in San Diego, CA and the outsourced HR consultant they hired really liked my background and what she heard on the phone interview today. She told me I was the perfect candidate and that she wished I was already in San Diego...but the one thing that's deterring me from others is that I'm from Minnesota, but that they're willing to "make it work" if I pass the next interviews. It's another phone interview and then I would then need to fly to San Diego at my cost to meet all of them in person if I pass the 2nd phone interview.

Any suggestions on what I can say to persuade them to not look at where I'm from and what I can provide them once they hire me? I feel that once I'm offered the position, it's my personal responsibility (not theirs) to worry if I can find a place or not.

I really want this job and I really want to move to CA! I was told I was 2nd place candidate in the last job I interviewed for in San Francisco, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Stress your position in your follow up thank you note and hope for the best. Good luck getting to the next round.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
I'm the "perfect candidate" but...
Classic smell of BS

Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 AM

206 posts, read 404,592 times
Stress that you are tired of the weather in MN and are planning to move, whether to this job or another one. Indicate that you've already made up your mind and you are only looking at opportunities below some geographical marker. Make it seem that for you, it's a given that you will be moving; the only question is where.

I believe that you are the perfect candidate, based on the recruiter's comment. I disagree with ragnarkar.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Take what the "outsourced HR consultant" say with a grain of salt.
I can't tell you how many times I was told I was the "perfect candidate"/"best candidate"/"top candidate" only to not get the job nor hear back from them.
Oh, and I would NEVER fly to an interview at my cost.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I would never spend my own money to fly to an interview. If a company is not paying they are not really that into you. Suggest skype but I would absolutely not fly in at my own expense. That tells me as I said the company is sort of ho hum with you or they are incredibly cheap and you won't want to see what they offer you in the unlikely event they do make an offer.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Sure, I can help: anything done "at your cost" flying for interviews isn't acceptable. That's chickensiht. Let me guess: you're working with foreigners in the recruiting process?

You must be pretty good at what you do, that's something. Making the final cut, for certain level roles, is an accomplishment. I've been called a "perfect candidate" once or twice during interviews, then shoved out the door a day later when they find the (ahem) more-perfect candidate. The offers usually come from HR and other hiring authorities who try very hard to hide their enthusiasm, but I can see they like me. Point being, I wouldn't trust anything HR says about anything at all, ever, at any firm. HR people come from a bizarre tribe of sorority sweethearts and other plastic-people, in my observation. Only winning move is to shovel it right back at them, twice as hard.

I've been flown out for interviews twice that I can recall. Neither was "at my cost" but then again both were for mid-senior management roles at pretty good $. Second time resulted in an offer, which I subsequently turned down. First was a successful failure: learned from it, but was not offered the position.

Wonder if the above is the post-Recession trend these days. Both my events were pre- ; one in '01, other early '08 before the big economic storm hit.

Unless you're intending to take a short holiday in San Diego to accompany the interview...not a bad idea...may want to think on what is occurring. And, how much you will or will not be making in terms of salary, and why they are making you do anything at *your* cost. In a negotiation, if the other party starts to act like they're doing "you" a favor, time to walk away from the table and/or make your position abundantly clear. Some call it "going to the balcony," i.e. objectively assessing both party's assumptions and working towards what is fair. Keep emotion out of it.

Is it a buyer's or seller's market in what you do? Really? Mine is a seller's market; that is leverage in negotiation. If you don't know, find out.

CA is expensive, more so every day, though gorgeous in many ways. Good luck with all that. Be mindful they're now shaving off about 10% in state and local taxes, up from about 7% when I lived there couple decades ago. I have fond memories of seven years in Bay Area, other than the expense and people pressing in on all sides 24/7. The craziness the police let people get away with was also surprising, but I was something of a sportbike squid at the time and didn't really mind the laxness: anarchy has pros and cons.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
The perfect candidate thing is BS. It's a hired HR recruiter, they have their reasons for keeping you hooked and happy and those reasons are different than your interests. And I agree with others that not flying you out sounds bad. In most situations, organizations have little reason to look out of State (especially a State like CA with it's abundant talent). If you offer some specialized technical skillset or have a large amount of executive level of experience or otherwise offer something unique, they dont really need to look out od State - and if you do offer something they want they'll fly you in.

That's all just my thought of course. I'm not in your situation so cant judge accurately. Do what you think is right for you. Thinking a bit more about your post, your excitment and desire come through so I don't know I don't think it sounds great but in the end gettign the ticket yourself and going out to CA may be a risk worth taking for you...if that's what it comes to.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Flying out for the interview at your own cost is a red flag to me. If they're interested, they'd fund the trip.

I've interviewed out-of-state a few times before and have never had to pay my own costs. (Although usually they paid my airfare and one night's hotel, if I wanted to stay a day or two longer to check out the area and get a sense for if I'd be happy living there, that part was at my own expense).

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I think the fact that they don't want to fly out is a huge red flag. My husband has done this twice (both times told he was first choice, blah, blah, blah) and it has never worked out. If they are really interested they'll foot the bill. Even my employer (cheapest on Earth) will pay to fly a serious candidate out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search