Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,144 times

Advertisements

A company is going to worry if they move someone from Minnesota in four months they may think Cali is not what they thought and head back home. I'd think of reasons that will really tie you to the area, eg tell them you are looking in the area bc your family has moved there, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Yep gotta say "The perfect candidate and liked what I heard " is and are canned responses I would not put any stock in it and move on to something more stable and yeah the company is not losing any money nor are they risking anything at all . I would move on if I were you .

Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Some people complain when companies won't consider non local candidates. Some people complain when non local candidates are considered, but won't pay for their travel. Depending on what someone wants to complain about the possibilities are endless.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Some people complain when companies won't consider non local candidates. Some people complain when non local candidates are considered, but won't pay for their travel. Depending on what someone wants to complain about the possibilities are endless.
Don't get me wrong, for non-specialized fields I think local candidates should get preferential treatment. But if the OP is applying for a specialized field and that he really is qualified, then that company should pay for everything from airline tickets to the interview to moving.

My sister is a mathematician. When she got her job at a Uranium research facility half the country away, they paid for everything from start to finish. Heck, they even sent agents around interviewing people about her to give her security clearance.

I say the OP shouldn't invest too much into this potential job, considering this employer wants the OP to take all the risks while they take none.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Don't get me wrong, for non-specialized fields I think local candidates should get preferential treatment. But if the OP is applying for a specialized field and that he really is qualified, then that company should pay for everything from airline tickets to the interview to moving.

My sister is a mathematician. When she got her job at a Uranium research facility half the country away, they paid for everything from start to finish. Heck, they even sent agents around interviewing people about her to give her security clearance.

I say the OP shouldn't invest too much into this potential job, considering this employer wants the OP to take all the risks while they take none.
If there are enough local candidates there is no reason or need to pay for travel or relo for a non local candidate. That would just be a waste of money. Doesn't matter what type of job it is.

Now some will complain about that. And others will say they shouldn't even offer to interview the non local candidates if they aren't willing to pay for it. And then others will complain that the non local candidates are not even being given a chance.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
It doesn't sound like they were looking out of town, this person applied from out of town -- big difference.
^^^ The key point which many respondents are completely overlooking.

OP, "...if I pass the next interviews. It's another phone interview and then I would then need to fly to San Diego at my cost to meet all of them in person if I pass the 2nd phone interview." There you have the deal in a nutshell. They're being totally upfront with you and letting you know what the next steps are. If you do well on the second 'phone interview, have a good feeling about the job and want to pursue it then you know what you have to do. All the best whatever cones about ...

Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Look let the company do a skype interview untill they are ready for the final round or even hire off the skype interview. That is reasonable. Asking the candidate to foot the bill for a flight and hotel is not.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Asking the candidate to foot the bill for a flight and hotel is not.
Given the facts in context and as pointed out by poster rgb123, it's not at all.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,098 times
I did tell the HR recruiter that I used to live in CA and grew up there and have been considering moving to CA for quite some time now, but was only waiting for the right opportunity. All true too. The company I'm applying for is a small, locally owned financial firm which San Diego does not have a lot of. SD does not have a lot of any jobs, so I'd be lucky if I get this one. The one advantage I have is that I come from the Twin Cities, Minnesota where there's a lot of businesses up here, and so I have a good resume with great experience from major financial corporations as well as a small financial firm similar to the one I'm applying.

HR told me up front already that there's no relocation package, which I expected. I was asking for assistance on how to persuade her/them even more to view me as a strong candidate despite my location, not if I should go to the interview if they don't help pay for cost of interviewing there. I'm willing to pay to go there because I want to move to SD that much, but I told her I would be willing to go there only if I know I'm a final candidate. Whatever the case, I'll learn from it, and I may just be stuck in MN forever because we still have one of the lowest unemployment rates here. The long winter nearly kills me every year. This is not the way to live....

I was 16 when we moved from central CA to Minnesota and the job market back then in CA was also terrible (don't think it ever changed). Though it was sunny and happy, it was so hard to get a job (even at a fast food restaurant). Then I moved to MN and there were so many to choose from. If I do get this job in SD, I hope I'm making the right decision as it would be hard to find another job should I get laid off.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123
It doesn't sound like they were looking out of town, this person applied from out of town -- big difference.
It's probably me but I see no difference.Applications can come from anywhere and if the company isn't entertaining non-local candidates, they can very easily filter those out. They did not in this case; either OP is an exceptional candidate or they're not getting many qualified local candidates.

All I'm saying is that in my 20+ years as a hiring manager with 5 companies (ranging from 500 to 40,000 employees), if we reached out to a candidate, we almost always bear the interviewing costs -- so it's not unusual at all. It was the same when I was looking for work in other cities. Companies paid for my interviewing costs ... they were my mini-vacations while unemployed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search