Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,644,200 times

Advertisements

I was out in Colorado a few weeks back for work. Loved being out there -- the mountains, the scenery, the outdoor activities, etc. I was bored one night and randomly decided to apply to what I thought was a dream job -- figuring I'd never hear anything back about it due to being out of state.

Long story short, I got a call back from the company. Made it through 3 rounds of interviews. Got an email about visiting and staying a day or two to see how I feel about the area. I'm thinking that means I'll get an offer. The company is great. Mid sized and ranked in the top 20 companies to work for in the US the past few years with great work-life balance.

I'm in my mid 20's working at a F500 in a position which is OK for an OK salary but a very mis-organized company that is stressful. I've been living in my current location for pretty much my whole life. As much as I hate the midwest weather, my friends and family are here. I'm in the beginning of a relationship with one of my best female friends who I care for deeply.

I realize opportunities like this don't come up often. I'm so torn as I really want this job and living in CO would be amazing. I'm just leaving so much behind.

Part of me is like shoot, if this were a few months down the road and I saw where this relationship ended up and I wasn't so miserable from the weather in the midwest, I could get a better judgement.

I am thinking of declining the offer, btut don't want to burn bridges, but am not sure how to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,867,388 times
Take the offer. It'll never be a perfect time to explore, but it couldn't be better than right now.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
You are in your mid-20s and single, so this is the time to make such a change if you are going to. You will have a lot harder time doing it when you have a wife and/or kids. What are the chances that your mis-organized company will be around in a few years? If you thought this was your dream job, it may be, not many people get to realize their dream.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,710,583 times
It will only get harder to make the move. go for it.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,134,166 times
What are you leaving behind? This is a no brainer. Go!

You make new friends and have new experiences, and still can visit old friends and family. There is no downside.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 AM

31 posts, read 82,675 times
I would say go.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 AM

269 posts, read 372,291 times
You're only in your 20s...go...there is no better time to work in different locations than now. I went overseas at age 30, granted I was completely single and only leaving behind family & friends but it did so much for my career and it was a great time of my life.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,563,074 times
Take it. You feel more comfortable in OK because that's all you know. It's scary to move out of state the 1st time, leaving friends, family and familiarity behind.

But it's a good move for you. YOU KNOW IT. You're just nervous about the move.

That's why lots of people stay in the same town(that they dislike) their whole lives, even with crappy jobs and living in crappy situations that they complain about. They are afraid to try something new. Then they feel stuck, when the only thing that is making them 'stuck' is their mind. It's also why some folks stay in unhappy mariages..they don't have the get-up-and-go to change things. It takes a lot of effort to make major life changes. Moving out of state is a major life change.

I moved out of state in my 20s, leaving friends and family behind. It worked out great. I am still close with my family and still stay in touch with some of those friends. I look back at the place I used to live and I wonder why anyone would choose to stay in that rat hole.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,704,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I was out in Colorado a few weeks back for work. Loved being out there -- the mountains, the scenery, the outdoor activities, etc. I was bored one night and randomly decided to apply to what I thought was a dream job -- figuring I'd never hear anything back about it due to being out of state.

Long story short, I got a call back from the company. Made it through 3 rounds of interviews. Got an email about visiting and staying a day or two to see how I feel about the area. I'm thinking that means I'll get an offer. The company is great. Mid sized and ranked in the top 20 companies to work for in the US the past few years with great work-life balance.

I'm in my mid 20's working at a F500 in a position which is OK for an OK salary but a very mis-organized company that is stressful. I've been living in my current location for pretty much my whole life. As much as I hate the midwest weather, my friends and family are here. I'm in the beginning of a relationship with one of my best female friends who I care for deeply.

I realize opportunities like this don't come up often. I'm so torn as I really want this job and living in CO would be amazing. I'm just leaving so much behind.

Part of me is like shoot, if this were a few months down the road and I saw where this relationship ended up and I wasn't so miserable from the weather in the midwest, I could get a better judgement.

I am thinking of declining the offer, btut don't want to burn bridges, but am not sure how to do so.
Please reread the bolded portions of your post. This is an opportunity of a lifetime and you know it. You want to take this job and make this move. Don't let fear hold you back. The time to follow your dreams is when you are young and free of the ties that often bind those of us who are older. If your relationship with this girl is meant to be, it'll work out regardless of where you are, but if you stay in your same old crappy job and location and this relationship ends you will be regret making this move for the rest of your life. Please take this job and know that your friends and family will always be there for you even if you are in a new location - that's what true friends and family do. (I know this because I retired early and made the move of my lifetime two and a half years ago. My true friends and family, although a thousand miles away in my hometown, are still there for me. PS I wish I would've made the move when I was younger. Please take this job and follow your dreams now.) Best wishes.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
You can visit family and friends. They can come visit you. Take the job. Get the experience and if you want to, you can always move back home in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search