Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 AM

16 posts, read 51,467 times

Advertisements

Hello! Here is my backstory. I was laid off at the end of last year and have been sending out dozens of resumes. I finally received two prospects in the last month: one at a highly reputable firm in a nice part of town with a nice commute. I felt really good about this place and they must've felt similar since they made me an offer within a week of interviews. However during that time I had applied for my current "dream" job for a Fortune 500 company. I was pleased to hear from the in house recruiter right away and felt I had a nice rapport with her during our phone interview. She said she would forward her notes to the hiring manager and hopefully schedule an on site interview with me. Well I didn't hear back from her for a week which during that time the other company offered me a job. (I did reach out the recruiter for updates but she had nothing from the hiring manager.)

Flash forward to this past week in which I am thrilled having accepted a job...until wednesday when I receive a call from the corporate recruiter saying the job I had interviewed for was on hold but they had a new position she thought I would be ""fabulous" for. (It's a Sr position). She said they were looking to fill this position right away. I really was hoping for an onsite interview either yesterday or today (before my start date Monday at that other job) but of course they dragged their feet again and I get an email Thursday saying the hiring managers would give her feedback today. Then I get email late tonight saying they would love to meet me in person and which day/time would be best. I responded with an after hours evening time (it was already friday evening and I could not push back my start date).

The response stated that they would prefer it be between regular business hours. Yes I do get a lunch hour but it takes roughly 20 min to get there from my new job. And what excuse am I supposed to give my new boss? Right now I am thinking if 7:30 am could work since I don't start work until 8:30 am. ( Their hours are 8-5.) My other option is doctor's appointment....but on my first week?

I really do want this corporate job because it's where I came from and but a step up. I know they might not even offer me anything but how do I go about sneaking away to interview when this corporate place doesn't seem to be too accommodating. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulJade View Post
Hello! Here is my backstory. I was laid off at the end of last year and have been sending out dozens of resumes. I finally received two prospects in the last month: one at a highly reputable firm in a nice part of town with a nice commute. I felt really good about this place and they must've felt similar since they made me an offer within a week of interviews. However during that time I had applied for my current "dream" job for a Fortune 500 company. I was pleased to hear from the in house recruiter right away and felt I had a nice rapport with her during our phone interview. She said she would forward her notes to the hiring manager and hopefully schedule an on site interview with me. Well I didn't hear back from her for a week which during that time the other company offered me a job. (I did reach out the recruiter for updates but she had nothing from the hiring manager.)

Flash forward to this past week in which I am thrilled having accepted a job...until wednesday when I receive a call from the corporate recruiter saying the job I had interviewed for was on hold but they had a new position she thought I would be ""fabulous" for. (It's a Sr position). She said they were looking to fill this position right away. I really was hoping for an onsite interview either yesterday or today (before my start date Monday at that other job) but of course they dragged their feet again and I get an email Thursday saying the hiring managers would give her feedback today. Then I get email late tonight saying they would love to meet me in person and which day/time would be best. I responded with an after hours evening time (it was already friday evening and I could not push back my start date).

The response stated that they would prefer it be between regular business hours. Yes I do get a lunch hour but it takes roughly 20 min to get there from my new job. And what excuse am I supposed to give my new boss? Right now I am thinking if 7:30 am could work since I don't start work until 8:30 am. ( Their hours are 8-5.) My other option is doctor's appointment....but on my first week?

I really do want this corporate job because it's where I came from and but a step up. I know they might not even offer me anything but how do I go about sneaking away to interview when this corporate place doesn't seem to be too accommodating. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Well first of all, there's no way an interview for a senior full time position will last only an hour(if it goes well). I mean if you have information to the contrary you are of course more familiar with your exact situation, but that's not my experience. So you are left with faking an illness, doctors appointment etc. There is no solution to your query without being in hot water with your new job.
And based on your description, it is of note that this company you want to put things at risk for has been flakey so far, and "on hold" usually means they don't have the money for the position.
If you are happy with the money at the new job the career track do you really want to put that at risk for this flakey dream job?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
it is of note that this company you want to put things at risk for has been flakey so far, and "on hold" usually means they don't have the money for the position.
If you are happy with the money at the new job the career track do you really want to put that at risk for this flakey dream job?
That's a good point. I just don't want to miss this opportunity for advancement. But it has been a cat and mouse game with these people. The new job is really my backup but they are the ones who hired me pretty quickly.

I was up all night thinking about this.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Just be honest with the company that wants to interview you. Do they know you are employed?

If so, tell them you are employed and unable to leave for an interview. Either try and get them earlier in the morning, and tell your current boss you have to "run an errand to a place that opens at 8 so you'll be a little late" or something similar.

They should value that you are a good employee and want to do your current job responsibly and to the best of your ability. I was in the same situation a year ago, applying for a job while I was working. I ended up meeting the Corporate operations manager and Mechanical Engineer at a Dairy Queen for the interview just down the road from where I work lol.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 AM

402 posts, read 745,632 times
Yes, it's all a risk versus reward game. I understand the dilemma of having a good job but it's not your dream job.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but consider that in most good F500s, people rotate positions and advance often. It is unlikely that if you don't chase this position at this time that your window closes for good. There's nothing wrong with letting them know that after the initial position got put on hold that you accepted another position. You can let them know that you are still interested in them as a company, but you've made another commitment and you'll keep them on your career radar. Alternatively, you may want to chase your dream and that is fine too. Something seems a little off about it though. I can't imagine hiring managers for senior positions needing to stick to defined business hours for interviews. I've had several breakfast and after hours interviews; this is not a rarity for senior positions.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Just be honest with the company that wants to interview you. Do they know you are employed?
No because I was unemployed when they first interviewed with me. I thought about telling them I accepted "temporary" work in the meantime but I am still very much interested in this position. Or should I just tell them I have since accepted an offer elsewhere but am still interested in them?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Yes, it's all a risk versus reward game. I understand the dilemma of having a good job but it's not your dream job.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but consider that in most good F500s, people rotate positions and advance often. It is unlikely that if you don't chase this position at this time that your window closes for good. There's nothing wrong with letting them know that after the initial position got put on hold that you accepted another position. You can let them know that you are still interested in them as a company, but you've made another commitment and you'll keep them on your career radar. Alternatively, you may want to chase your dream and that is fine too.
Hrmmm that's a good way to put it. Ideally this corporate company sounds better on my resume but logically I should go with the company who has wanted me from the start but I don't see any real advancements with them. I am very stressed right now.

Quote:
Something seems a little off about it though. I can't imagine hiring managers for senior positions needing to stick to defined business hours for interviews. I've had several breakfast and after hours interviews; this is not a rarity for senior positions.
Yes I was a bit surprised by that response. I thought they would be more accommodating. I ended up emailing the recruiter and asking if 8 am would work. I've read this company likes to do rotating interviews all day. If they accept it I may have to concoct some excuse to delay my start date until that afternoon or the next day if possible. I don't know what else to do.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post

You'll have to decide for yourself, but consider that in most good F500s, people rotate positions and advance often. It is unlikely that if you don't chase this position at this time that your window closes for good. There's nothing wrong with letting them know that after the initial position got put on hold that you accepted another position. You can let them know that you are still interested in them as a company, but you've made another commitment and you'll keep them on your career radar. Alternatively, you may want to chase your dream and that is fine too. Something seems a little off about it though. I can't imagine hiring managers for senior positions needing to stick to defined business hours for interviews. I've had several breakfast and after hours interviews; this is not a rarity for senior positions.
What industry are you in? For initial phone screens, or non-final(as in the last interview before they give an offer) I have to say my experience is different.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
Just my two cents: I would go for it with the Fortune 500 job. Also I would never have an interview at 8 AM!!! Take the chance and call in sick at the new job or cite a family emergency, or ask to change your start date. Tell them you have to move your elderly parent on an emergency basis or something. Worth the risk!!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
Neither your the recruiter nor the company who wants to interview gives a d#*n about you - remember that in risking anything at your new job.

They will string you along for multiple interviews over weeks or longer just to please THEIR needs.

So- if they can't be flexible in meeting you I'd tell them to pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search