Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a good way to identify the older candidates legally.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
How does that even make sense?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
In this case I may not be facing age discrimination because they already met me during the first part of the process- actual interviews. This- group interview, testing, presentations, and the special projects part of the process- is only for the 6 finalists. 12 were brought into the office for the initial selection process and 6 survived. I am one of the survivors.

An earlier poster said that we would not work effectively together in group projects because we are competitors. We will or we will be eliminated. I worked with competitors all the time in corporate America, I called them coworkers.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 03-03-2014 at 04:56 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
That isn't an interview

That is a waste of time
It's not! Maybe that's how the firm works on cases for their clients or resolves work-related sticky situations. Conduct mock interviews and then bring the talented recruits on-site to discuss, debate and resolve tough issues for free!! How can that be a waste of time if all you are doing is seeing your work done for no cost?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
That isn't an interview

That is a waste of time
You, sir, win the aware for best post of the day. Thank you for that.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM

140 posts, read 255,254 times
In March of 2009, when there was almost no work anywhere, I was invited to interview at a local private college for an administrative assistant. I was told beforehand that it was a "group interview" - but I had never had one before, so I went, being that this interview would prove to be only two I was offered the entire year of 2009.

IT WAS AWFUL!! Four of the 13 people they invited did not show up, or it would have been worse. We all sat around a circular table with the three interviewers. The interviewers threw out questions and we all competed to answer them. They did not go around the table and give everyone a chance to answer the question - we had to shout out our answers like it was a game show.

My perception of this procedure was that it was the least time consuming avenue for the employers to meet applicants. They spent one hour of one day, instead of the several hours over the course of one or two days, getting to talk to applicants one-on-one. Before the interview started, one of the applicants was quite friendly with one of the interviewers, and it turns out, that applicant was the only bilingual applicant, which was not even listed as a preference on the job description or I wouldn't have been there at all. She was the one they hired, of course.

Two years later, I ended up taking classes at this same private college to get my paralegal certificate. The coordinator of said "group interview" above was fired because he was "lazy" - or so we were told by some other admin employees. And that's exactly how I perceived this interview - laziness on the part of the employer. Back then I was on another forum and there was a discussion about this type of group interview - and the general consensus was the interviewee felt like it was more of a cattle call than an interview. Of course, some employers who have engaged in this type of interview defended its practice, but I'll never participate in one again. Thank heavens it isn't common practice!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
I find it interesting that right after I wrote the orginal post a large number of people stated I was lying and this type of selection process does not happen in organizations today. Since then a large number of people have told about their experiences in group interviews.

Hopefully mine later in the week will be administered more professionally than the previous poster experienced.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I find it interesting that right after I wrote the orginal post a large number of people stated I was lying and this type of selection process does not happen in organizations today. Since then a large number of people have told about their experiences in group interviews.

Hopefully mine later in the week will be administered more professionally than the previous poster experienced.
Please let us know how it goes!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
As a reminder, fiction is off-topic for the Work & Employment forum. Try the Writing forum instead.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search