Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

It would be nice if you were acknowledged. It is amazing how ride some employers can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
For a job that I've recently interviewed with, I was told that I would most likely have a response the next day. Bascially I should have known sometime around the 21st of February or so. Since then I've sent a thank you letter, a follow up letter and today I sent another follow-up.

It sounds like I probably didn't get the job, but this was the 2nd interview! Shouldn't they, at least, give me a little bit of respect and send a short note telling me that they've chosen someone else? Hell, one of the interviewers was an acquaintance of my wife! I hope I'm not being too petty, but is it so difficult for companies to show just a little bit of respect to people who wish to work there?

try not to get upset about things out of your control. Just use that energy to focus on other opportunities. Sometimes what happens is they select someone else and then that person takes another offer and then they call you like you were the person they wanted all along. So that's also a possibility

But hang in there

Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Professional courtesy is now gone with the wind, never to return. Just move on.. If you press the situation, it may create an awkward scenario with your wife's acquaintance and she may begin avoiding you. You don't want that.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
For a job that I've recently interviewed with, I was told that I would most likely have a response the next day. Bascially I should have known sometime around the 21st of February or so. Since then I've sent a thank you letter, a follow up letter and today I sent another follow-up.

It sounds like I probably didn't get the job, but this was the 2nd interview! Shouldn't they, at least, give me a little bit of respect and send a short note telling me that they've chosen someone else? Hell, one of the interviewers was an acquaintance of my wife! I hope I'm not being too petty, but is it so difficult for companies to show just a little bit of respect to people who wish to work there?
You are surprised by this?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
When will people get it through their heads, "All is fair in love and war," and the currrent job searching scene IS WAR!

So people should simply come to grips and get things like honesty, consideration, care, respect, and good manners on employers' behalves out of their heads! The average employer doesn't give a damn about candidates' feelings; that they are human beings who simply want closure; that they have been down and out of a job for six or more months and are waiting for responses, even if it is a simple "you didn't get the job"; that they acted friendly and accepting while all the while knowing they don't want them; and so on, and so on.

Every few days on CD there are threads like this: "The recruiter was friendly and complimented me; seems like she wants to get me the job."

Well, here's what: You don't know jack s--t until they actually offer the job and you start working. Even if they offer the job, they can rescind it before you start work... or even the day you start work, or whatever.

How do you know you are employed? You're actually at a job working! All happenings and actions aside indicate nothing these days.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
FBJ

the one thing anyone can do to fight unemployment is change fields. especially since UE are a thing of the past

Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Professional courtesy is now gone with the wind, never to return. Just move on.. If you press the situation, it may create an awkward scenario with your wife's acquaintance and she may begin avoiding you. You don't want that.
Ummm....the wife's acquaintance is already avoiding him. How much more awkward can it get?

I would want a follow up as well, the reason this has become the norm is because people put up with it.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 PM

51 posts, read 83,321 times
Employers are generally very rude right now. Even back in the days when I could get a job VERY easily . . . I always made sure I was respectful and classy every step of the way. I could literally take a crap in a hospital lobby and yell out "I take x rays!" and they would STILL hire me . . .

These days, employers are merciless, and it's very sad, because it should be a mutual respect. I respected you when you were fighting over me . . . you should be respectful now that you have the upper hand. But they aren't. And it speaks VOLUMES about culture in America, and it's a very sad one.

You should've come to the interview I had where I was completely degraded for 45 minutes by two people who had less credentials an experience than I did. They basically had a great time telling me how unqualified and worthless I was. I was in shock by how rude and unproffesional they were. Again, another eye opener.

Move on from this. Learn form this. It's very common right now. You aren't worth much to them but a check mark on their list. How will you enrich your life in other ways to give yourself value? (not monetary . . . just life value).

Best of luck and I FEEL your pain and I AGREE.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,632 times
I agree...I had a phone interview, then met the HR rep and CNO for an interview. I was asked back for a second interview which took 6 hours, I met 16 people that day. I was told I would hear by Monday. At 6pm on Monday I recieved an email from the HR rep stating not to worry that she was still working on compiling all the information from interviewers and that she would keep me informed. Now it's Thurs and I did send a polite and short email to the HR rep just asking if there was an update..no reply. I also send 16 thank you letters and not one reply. I am lost. I really though I had it..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmoon1964 View Post
I agree...I had a phone interview, then met the HR rep and CNO for an interview. I was asked back for a second interview which took 6 hours, I met 16 people that day. I was told I would hear by Monday. At 6pm on Monday I recieved an email from the HR rep stating not to worry that she was still working on compiling all the information from interviewers and that she would keep me informed. Now it's Thurs and I did send a polite and short email to the HR rep just asking if there was an update..no reply. I also send 16 thank you letters and not one reply. I am lost. I really though I had it..
I don't think you needed to send another email on Thursday. I think you should have just let the week finish out and send a email on sunday night so they would get it first thing Monday morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search