Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times

Advertisements

I find it quite frequent nowadays to have hiring officials rip someone apart at an interview then pat themself on the back with self delusion for having prevented a bad hire. One more reason to be thankful to already have a good job and be in a position to watch the freakshow that is the hiring process from the sidelines. I really have zero sympathy for companies with recruitment and retention problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
This I can't reveal either. They are 2 steps away from monopolizing the entire industry. You will find their offices everywhere you go in the country... and Canada.
There are quite a number of corporations in a few different industries that are supposedly "2 steps away from monopolizing an entire industry!" I don't see how anybody could see any of your posts here considering you haven't revealed your real name or any personal information. You sound very afraid. Maybe this post isn't real and is anecdotal. Maybe you're a troll, I don't know. Maybe you're one of those "tin foil hat" "my tv is bugged" type, conspiracy theorists who thinks NSA is monitoring all your texts and phone calls. It's ok, it really doesn't matter to me. You want advice or information, but you're not willing to share even remotely with us.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I find it quite frequent nowadays to have hiring officials rip someone apart at an interview then pat themself on the back with self delusion for having prevented a bad hire. One more reason to be thankful to already have a good job and be in a position to watch the freakshow that is the hiring process from the sidelines. I really have zero sympathy for companies with recruitment and retention problems.
I agree. Most of these hostile, aggressive type A, "I'm Master of the Universe, and you're my lowly serf" types are found in F500 large corporations. Sometimes medium sized ones too, but not usually. I think if one goes to enough of these "freakshow" interviews, it will drive you to drink.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
This is commonplace. The purpose of many interviews these days is to allow the interviewers a chance to show off, and tearing apart the candidate is one way to do this. This has several uses: it makes people look good by preventing a "bad hire," as you said. It can also allow them to then turn around and hire a relative or buddy after they tear apart all the other candidates. Finally, with internal job interviews, it is a great way to lash out at unpopular people in the company and derail their careers. In short, as you said, most companies deserve the hiring problems they have.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
"freak show". Great description.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I recently ran into an old friend and we sort of caught up a little bit. She was wearing all suit and stuff, so I asked and she said she had just had an interview earlier in the day. It was internal in the company. I said oh cool how was it? She said it was terrible because the interviewer had the whole list of everything she did wrong as a local manager (she's trying to get into their corporate office) and asked her to explain why she made each mistake.

What do you suppose their goal was? Can't say I've ran into such a situation before.
the goal of every interview is to see if the applicant fits the position.
If she was selected to go to the interview she must have had what it takes but the managers were afraid she would make mistakes. Hence they wanted to see why she made them and if she learned something from them (aka not make them in the future)

Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 AM

362 posts, read 559,923 times
I see this type of interview as being the ultimate test of what you're made of. Can you take the criticism? How are you going to respond under pressure when you are a corporate player? I think it would be a great challenge for any unsuspecting job applicant to have to face every mistake they've every made. The ability to go through such a tough interview with poise, dignity, and still being able to leave a good impression is probably what they are measuring, IMO.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Acting like an @hole to candidates is not a good way to select talent. It is a good way to drive them off and make yourself look like an @hole. Remember an interview is a 2 way street.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,979 times
Quote:
Acting like an @hole to candidates is not a good way to select talent. It is a good way to drive them off and make yourself look like an @hole. Remember an interview is a 2 way street.

Amen brother!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:

And of course being an ahole in an interview can guarantee that the interviewee may possibly talk to others about their experience. Word of mouth can be very damaging sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search